Now contains nuts.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Over for another year

I have done it

I have successfully managed to go through a whole season of Australian Rules Football (AFL) without viewing a game at all. I hardly knew who was on top of the table, and I didn’t know what team was scrubbing up the arse end.

All I know is that the West Coast Eagles won. It’s kinda hard to not know the result of the Grand Final (Aussie version of the Superbowl) as it’s plastered over every single news stand.

I played AFL in my younger years, and I consider myself to be somewhat handy with the ball. Unfortunately injury took me out of the sport. There was a time where I became couch coach and would yell things at the screen – because I knew everything about the footsball.

Naturally, it was a perfectly good excuse for me to force my kids into the game in order to live vicariously through them.

But I stopped watching football. It’s an incredibly frustrating game to watch, due in part to the rule book being thicker than an entire collection of encyclopaedia Brittanica.

I can sum up playing the game as below:

There are two teams on the field. They wear differing colours to separate them and therefore allocates which goals they should be aiming the ball at.

There are guys out there who wear the same colour as you. You punch them.

There are guys out there who wear different colours to you. You try to punch them more than the guys wearing your colour.

Sometimes your hands hold a “ball”. You kick or punch this ball, sometimes glancing your limb off it strategically so that you end up kicking or punching someone else.

The referee is named an umpire, and you are not to come into contact with him at all… accidental or otherwise. Doing so will have you suspended indefinitely and you must sell your house to cover the fine.

Each team, however, has a player who is the umpire’s favourite and he is free to punch and kick everyone and anyone. Even the umpire will brush off a full frontal crash tackle with a, “nice one, champ” and a thumbs up.

The winner of the game is the team who somehow managed to not get caught punching someone else.

SO yes, it is an achievement. I have avoided the legalised combat that is the AFL for an entire season.

For anyone overseas who is curious about Aussie Rules Football, simply pick up an oblong shaped ball, get a few sticks to peg in the ground, and then proceed to punch everyone nearby. You’ll get the picture soon enough.

6 files below

Blogger Peter Matthes said...

Aussie rules are the best.

Union rugby is boring!

7:27 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

On the Qantas flight home, the captain announced the results of the game THEN the weather and expected arrival time. Priorities, heh...

You have kids?!?!

10:57 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

finally, someone explained the whole thing! It all makes sense now. sort of.

1:24 AM

 
Blogger reverendtimothy said...

Don't forget the parts about drink driving and underage tag-team sex. That's part of the AFL law too, right? As well as all the hush-money paid to cover it up?

You can tell I just LOVE professional footy players.

1:46 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Pete: I'm with you on the rugby thing. It's an orgy with a ball...

CB: Thats an error in my writing that got missed in the editing stage. I don't have kids, thank christ.

Treespotter: Don't TRY to understand fight club.... er AFL... just go with it.

Tim: my experiences with the players have been less than favourable too. Players are in a position of responsibility and shouldn't prey on women, though.

9:30 AM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

hohoho... i never follow afl one bit. the lads were in town yesterday for some reasons, totally spoil my retail therapy because i see blue and gold everywhere. i prefer the real version of football. you know where you actually use foot and not hands? :-)

2:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home