Now contains nuts.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Eavesdropping from on high

I’m finally off the drugs, and have stopped flying around the office, giddily slurring out “good morning” to the hot receptionist.

Unfortunately that also means I cannot use the “I’m on pain killers” excuse whenever something gets balls-ed up.

Also, I have no excuse as to why I haven’t been writing much either. However, after looking back at the last two entries, I think they serve as a great reason to not do drugs of any kind to stimulate the creative process.

So it’s sober or it’s nothing from now on.

I did find that the pain killers did sorta heighten my smug sense of superiority though.

When I became more mobile with this knee (ie I could actually bend it) I walked around a shopping mall, watching everyone. I would listen into conversations that revolved around the latest purchase, or was the precursor to a big purchase.

In most instances, it involved an MP3 player.

I am sorry to say that I eavesdropped on a few conversations in my delirium. Yes, I am rude. Shoot me.

I now know that a few girls are going to be living on two-minute noodles for the next week, but at least they’ve got a couple thousand songs to listen to in order to kill time. How many tunes will be skipped though?

I know one girl whose boyfriend is a real sweetie, but he yells at her from time to time. Her friend says nothing.

$8 for a foccacia is too expensive for some couples.

Boost Juice is a great meal replacement for a certain couple who look like they work out often.

A short, petite girl has some very, very large male friends. When she leaves the group to pick up her lunch, the males start talking about how close a friend they are with her and share stories. Funny… I always thought the “friend only” pit was one to avoid. Also, there seems to be a direct correlation between the smaller the girl, the muscle-ier the male friends.

It’s probably a good thing I’m back at work and off the dosage. At work the conversations are just a warble of techno speak that descends into “Peanuts Teacher” dialogue.

Sober oblivion seems better than drugged awareness.

8 files below

Blogger jennifersando said...

Hey Andy. This entry made me chuckle. Eavesdropping is good. It powers our stories. :)

2:22 PM

 
Blogger reverendtimothy said...

Eavesdropping is awesome. I have acute hearing and it's one of my favourite pasttimes when bored. Hahaha.

Yeap, you're right about your observed correlation of gender sizing. Haha. I have my own theories on it, but I don't want to scatter your blog with the word 'primates'.

As for the blogging - must be the weather. I've had no real motivation to blog either.

12:36 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Jen: I've read about listening can help with dialogue. However, my book doesn't have bogan characters...

Tim: I call my theory on gender sizing the Tarzan:Jane ratio. The bigger one is, the smaller the other...

1:07 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

patent pending...

1:07 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

for some reasons, the train of thoughts makes me think that you're probably on something. doesn't matter tho, makes an interesting peek.

8:31 PM

 
Blogger Steph said...

I'm an avid eavesdropper too. Tis a shameful hobby. ;)

11:33 AM

 
Blogger X said...

I call my theory on gender sizing the Tarzan:Jane ratio.

I feel you on that one; I'm 6'1", the missus is a foot shorter. Although my ex was 5'11", but that's probably the exception that proves the rule.

---X

11:15 PM

 
Blogger Ms Smack said...

I started to eavesdrop on my fellow passengers in Row 10, Seats D C E on a recent Virgin flight to Brisbane. They were either recruiting Christians, or Amyway Sellers because by the 3rd, or 4th 'reach inside yourself and grasp those personal strengths' I was reaching for my iPod headphones and reaching for some Paul Oakenfold.

8:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home