Now contains nuts.

Monday, July 24, 2006

I'm a People

It’s really odd.

I feel like such a late bloomer these days. Whenever I stumble across some great revelation about what I want to do with life, I get the impression that everyone else has known this stuff for ages.

You know those interviews with really successful people, and the first thing they say is “Don’t hold back, just get out there and do it”?

I reckon I’m a complete dullard sometimes. I would look at those interviews, listen to those words and think, “Yeah… that’s good advice. But that doesn’t really apply to me.”

But it does.

I mean, there have been plenty of times when I’ve remarked to someone how I’d really like to do [thing] with my life, and they’ve asked me why I don’t.

And I’d answer with various excuses, citing bills, rent/mortgage, job etc.

But now I look back, and realise that these were all excuses. And, by equal measure, I think these people who ask me “Why don’t you?” were really trying to prompt me into actually doing something... but I was too daft to see it.

I was like a kid who wanted a cookie, and when the parent asked me why I don’t simply take one, I’d think of a reason not to.

How daft is that?

I watch these documentaries about famous film-makers and what they do when making movies. They talk about their stuff like it’s everyday hum-drum. I sit and watch it and think “wow, they’re exceptional people” and I’ll have this feeling that being like them is something way out of reach – like some fantasy world.

They have money. They have backing.

Yes, they’re exceptional people.

But they’re people. Like me.

I’m a people too.

I’m sure that Peter Jackson had to take his initial step into film-making to get where he is now. Hell, I’ve seen Bad Taste. If he can make epic movies after that [piece of] “movie”, then hope is not lost for my first piece, “Scribblings on a Napkin” – working title (which is more representative of the medium rather than the content).

I am 28 years old. I realise this NOW? It seems that everyone else has known this crap for years!

I should’ve just taken the fuckin’ cookie.

8 files below

Blogger Steph said...

Someone dear to me, and a high achiever, once said." You have to bet big to win big". It's all about taking a chance I guess.
Whether we're brave enough to do that is another thing.

12:46 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

The only person stopping you from doing what you want to do is yourself. Why not take charge and make it happen? You'll never know otherwise.

4:25 PM

 
Blogger reverendtimothy said...

Better late than never. Some people never realise it.

5:42 PM

 
Blogger Ms Smack said...

Seize the day indeed.

Great post.

9:52 PM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

"Go for it tiger", u told me this a year ago....remember?

Ditto

P.S : I didnt know Peter Jackson made "Bad Taste". Thers allways somethin new to learn

5:18 AM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

you're not alone in the late-revelation department. let's both not waste any more time.

12:13 PM

 
Blogger Loudlush said...

Great post! Choice, not chance, determines destiny and I don't believe that choice is the privilege of any particular age-group. I've made choices all over the shop for years and even the questionable ones have always led me to somewhere good. Go for it.

11:35 PM

 
Blogger audrey said...

That's exactly the thing I needed to hear today Andy. Tanks muchly. The thing that bothers me is that I know that most people have to start from the bottom. The fact that they do and I don't just highlights to me that my real problem is laziness.

1:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home