Now contains nuts.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Waving to the rapids

Oftentimes it feels as though the world is shrinking around my shoulders. The giant concrete pillars in which I toil do not shield me from shadows of my past. This city, this seemingly boundless canyon once seemed great place in which to revel in my anonymity.

People flowed around me like a river of bobbing heads and blank stares.

But it’s not the case now. Not anymore.

Persons whom featured prominently in my past have made the pilgrimage to the city. I don’t have a problem with this, if it wasn’t for the fact that I either have to correspond with them, and that I cannot walk down the mall without glimpsing one of them.

My ex mother-in-law works in my department. So does an ex-girlfriend.

The latter telephoned me today regarding a business matter of import. The feeling of reeling back, even whilst being seated, was a sensation I would not care to repeat.

As it serves as a constant reminder of how much of an idiot I was in a previous life. Also, it highlights how little affect I had on her.

The stunning realization that I have been foolhardy in my consideration of others did not come easily to me. In fact, many an hour had been spent in quiet contemplation, as I stopped and discovered that I had been the perpetrator behind ill-feelings; not the victim.

I would love to grasp a rock and lob it into the river, just to see which skeleton from the past I knock out.

I dunno. There’re many people I have met over the course of my life, many good, many bad. Many I don’t ever want to speak with ever again. Many I lament not remaining on good terms with.

I used to love going along with the flow of this city, but now all I feel is the suction of being dragged under with all these memories of the past standing dry on the bank, waving indifferently as I plunge past.

All I can think to myself is… this world is too fucking small.

7 files below

Blogger chica bonita said...

oh god, andy. when i read your previous post yesterday, i was thinking how can u get through working in the same dept with your ex mother-in-law even if there are 50 people in your dept. and now, one of your ex too? i, for one can never go through that. never.

7:22 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Well-written post with clever use of imagery and haunting words that express your deep thoughts and feelings. But that is not what I want to say. I have not read a post on this blog in a long time that has reduced me to tears. Such is the power of your words.

The world is indeed a small place. Life is too short to spend it lamenting, hiding or running away when you can make amends with people you wish to remain on good terms with. The choice is always yours. Self-realisation may be harsh, but most people are amenable to forgiving when sincerity is shown to them. Don’t let the suction pull you in.

8:00 PM

 
Blogger Ms Smack said...

A touching, moving thought provoking post Andy.

regards
Ms Smack

9:15 AM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

maybe being faced with the past is a chance for you to right any wrongs and come out with a clear conscience?

2:57 PM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

I would love to grasp a rock and lob it into the river, just to see which skeleton from the past I knock out.....gr8 post and thought provoking

6:30 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

To be honest Andy, I'm surprised you ever felt anonymity in this city. I have often felt suffocated by it. It seems inevitable that no matter what shopping centre I visit, what big event I go to visited by thousands of people, I will always run into someone I had hoped never to see again in my life.

10:23 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Chica: I knew she worked in the department, so I knew it was a risk. I made my peace with her some time ago, and now we're simply there. Not friends not anything. We pass in the street, catch glimpses of each other and keep walking. It's like a mutual understanding.

CB: Again your words of praise humble me. However, people do seem to have no qualms in shutting me out citing reasons that are somewhat dubious.

Ms Smack: Thanks :)

Cadiz: I've sorted out the past with my ex, I think. She wasn't fazed when she called. However, with other people they don't seem too approachable, almost to the point where they revel in looking upon me with disdain.

Kenneth: Cheers. I must go to your blog (and others') and catch up. I've been too slack lately.

Mel: As I migrated here from the Adelaide Hills when I was young, there was a good few years of anonymity in where I knew nobody. But as I obtained "friends" and groups inevitably dissolved, the anonymity became less prevalent. The people I knew from Adelaide Hills communities were tightly knit, and they seemed more than happy with their little town. BUt now they've moved onto the city.

2:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home