Now contains nuts.

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Violent Changes

Gawd, what a crazy couple days.

I’ve started this new job, and it’s going to be hectic. Whereas before, I was huddled over my computer screen, killing time between smoke breaks, now I’m run off my feet and on the phone to all corners of the state.

It’s good to feel useful again.

I wasn’t exactly tops at my last job, and I couldn’t really get enthused about the work. Funnily enough, I was in the business of publishing materials that taught English as a second language… and funnily enough, I want to go to Japan to do just that.

But before I left the last job, I was on the phone to some people from overseas. I just love some of the stereotypes that Australians have as a result of a certain hot headed, knuckle-dragging celebrity.

“Don’t get into any fist-fights…” the guy from our London warehouse told me in departure.

“You’re going to telecommunications, eh? Don’t throw any phones at people!” Another said, the smirk on his face obvious in his voice.

Yeah, thanks Russ.

I’ve also heard a couple quips from some British people on television. If they’re not thinking Australians are a bunch of sheep lovers, they think that we’re violent. All because of an “Australian” who goes about throwing punches at most passer-bys.

For those who don’t know, Russell Crowe is actually from New Zealand.

Of course, I have to let you know my response to these smart-arses who decided to take-the-piss out of me right before I moved onto my new job.

I talked very softly into the phone, so it appeared as though the line was bad. After they said something about the line being bad, I slammed my phone receiver on the table. Repeatedly.

I’m sure their ears are still ringing.

Australians are violent indeed… Pfft…

Oh, X… you guys will win the Ashes.

8 files below

Blogger X said...

CHAMPIONS!

---X

8:46 AM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

well if that's the only way to tell if someone's from down under, there were a bunch of you people hanging out in downtown chicago last time i went out.

5:30 PM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

good ol'andy. you should have put them on hold for 30 minutes and rock up their phone bills! if they're the ones calling you of course. ;-)

5:58 PM

 
Blogger Kody said...

Felicitations on your new job, and good luck.

1:09 AM

 
Blogger Kaufman said...

Our site was initially conceived due to the inadequacies of one Russell Crowe Esq. From memory, the virgin post was a scathing attack on the Kiwi bastard.

What's with the parting Ashes remark? Don't tell me you're believing the hype. Dear man, the Aussies could be 3-blot up. Aside from an unpublished but confirmed report about a lucrative contract with Rupee Murdoch to make the series quote interesting and possibly even close enquote, they're just getting over the final hurdles of jet lag. I'm told it lasts five to fifty-two weeks upon arrival in Englandom.

Can I have dibs on any books that you may have swiped from your previous employer and no longer need. I'm thinking of updating my collection [i.e. having some non-XXX material] for when my next youngster springs into my arms: it's pointless trying to teach the other three anything. Once they get beyond six, they're teaching me.

9:40 AM

 
Blogger Sherri said...

Andy....are we living parallel lives? Just started my new job today and man am I tired! I had to actually work for 8 hours straight! What's up with that? :)

9:13 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

BAHAHAHAHA That's hilarious Andy :)

8:39 PM

 
Blogger Ms Smack said...

I love the way you write. Another great post. You really capture the essence of your environs well.

oh, im secretly lusting after BT, too hehe.

Cheers A,
Ms Smack

4:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home