Now contains nuts.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Accentuating Cutesy

In my post flu delirium, I had to catch a bus into the city to go pick up some crap that I needed.

Usually, catching a bus in Adelaide is equally as tormenting as catching the SuperFlu, but today I walked off feeling relatively amused.

There were a bunch of kids of high school age travelling with me. As kids this age are wont to do, they were speaking really, really loudly. Fair enough… I expect that of them. However, one of them seemed to be an exchange student, and she had a fairly thick accent… if I had to gander a guess; German.

She had that German accent tinged with an American one. Obviously had an American English teacher.

Anyways, she made a remark about another passenger’s sunglasses, and then regarded herself as rather “fashion-able”.

No, not fashionable. Fashion able. “Able” pronounced like I was saying “I am able to string two words together”.

However, I did not look upon this linguistic faux pas with scorn, or derision, but one of endearment. Her accent actually made it sound pretty cool.

But then I stopped to think. If I has said the same thing, people would think that my grasp of the English language rather deficient, and that I'm some form of moron.

However, it does make me want to travel to a country that has a language I cannot speak well.

I like the idea that if I say something stupid, people will look at me as though I’m cute… instead of looking at me like I’m deranged.

4 files below

Blogger cadiz12 said...

if you come to america, it won't matter what you say as long as you keep speaking with an australian accent. i'm serious. picking up ladies will be a cinch. i can't promise quality, though.

this reminds me of when i studied in spain and kept saying 'gracias mucho,' because i thought it sounded cooler than 'muchas gracias' (which is the proper way). when the professor snapped at me about it (i guess he figured i wasn't just being ignorant) i realized just how moronic i must have sounded to the natives.

oh well.

5:26 PM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

lol Andy, thats funny in a "i didn't think of this" way

3:36 AM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

i love the way germans speak english.

one of my mates (she is british) reckoned most of them use direct translation from the language itself and she can practically translates it back to german on her head and chuckles to herself whenever she's conversing in english to our german friends.

this is not possible!

their way of showing disagreement.

i already went there yesterday...i already bought the shirt...

how cute is that? :-)

7:18 PM

 
Blogger Le Meems said...

Andy

Come to California baby. Vee love da accents heere.

p.s. I think you are heelaryous!!

2:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home