Now contains nuts.

Friday, July 29, 2005

I pack scorn, and I don't care...

Just when I thought I wasn’t a stereotypical male…

Today, I realised that my wedding anniversary was on the 20th of July, and I had totally forgotten about it. There wasn’t a pang of anything on that day, no subtle cue that I had forgotten something.

In fact, if I cast my blog back to that date, I was worrying about how the newspaper used the term “P plater” when it didn’t really apply to the story at all, and I was thinking about applying for that job in Japan.

That was also the day I found out that I got this other job I recently went for.

So that just also shows (to me at least) that my anniversary simply did not register in my mind whatsoever, and that the ex-wife has been cast back to the realm of my mind that contains mathematics, repressed memories of childhood ridicule, lather-rinse-repeat and other superfluous teachings of low import.

Dr Freud, eat your heart out.

So, consciously… and sub-consciously (if you believe in the existence thereof), I totally forgot about the day my ex-wife and I loosely tied the knot of matrimony.

“But you remember it now,” I hear you exclaim, “so that must mean that it registers on some level.”

“Pshaw” I say, or maybe even, “codswallop” or other such pompous terms reminiscent of an old socialite outlining their disdain.

I never pass up an opportunity to reassure myself of how little she meant to me. It makes me feel better. I am only human, after all.

Hey, have I mentioned how much I’m enjoying my freedom? Or how I now have a higher paying job with a wage that I can use to spoil myself, instead of funding the shopping exploits of a disrespectful woman?

Yeah. Take that.

This does, however, point to the existence of my bloated ego, and how I simply must maintain that I’m the better person out of the ex-wife and I, despite the fact that none of you will probably ever meet me, or even her.

But packing scorn onto that woman makes me feel validated.

So... meh. Screw it. I’m telling you anyway.

“I totally forgot my wedding anniversary, and that makes me feel great!”

12 files below

Blogger Kaufman said...

If she's you're ex [which I assume to be correct because I read the entire post] then I think it should be your ex wedding anniversary.

While I respectfully admit that the day should never be expunged from existence, I believe the nullification and voiding of the marriage ought to be reflected accordingly in other aspects of its association.

Do you have any children? Nah, that wouldn't work, would it? Maybe I'll need to rethink this one, but ex anniversary did have a nice ring when I first thought how I could side with your forgetfulness.

BTW, congratulations on all the positives you mentioned.

12:50 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

Pip-pip, old boy. Huzzah for you!

1:22 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

BT351: Whilst I can agree with the sentiments of it being the ex-anniversary, I felt that referring to it as such detracted from the punch behind the point I was trying to make. Besides, by law, we're still married... and technically, she's still my wife...

I can understand the need for continuity, though :) Although I referred to the missus as "ex" to demean her place on the post, and went sans "ex" for the anniversary part to highlight it...

So the term was only applied selectively for artistic merits. Yeah, that's it.

No kids, though. Thank christ.

Chris: tally ho! We must celebrate this down at FAD over a nice musket, eh what? *grooms moustache*

1:45 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations on your forgotten anniversary!

4:32 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

I would congratulate you on forgetting the day, but that would imply that you would have remembered previously; therefore making you not so stereotypical before, but now you are a “typical male” ;). Confused? I am!

Glad to hear that you’re...Feeling Good. :)

7:40 PM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

Forgotten anniversaries usually gets ppl nostalgic, but its rightfully the opposite with u and thats good
Happy for u man

8:59 PM

 
Blogger X said...

Good on you, mate.

---X

9:40 PM

 
Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

hey, yay you! i still catch myself saying 'we've been together for...' rather than 'we were together for'. at least im still friends with my ex, and we were never married so i am 100% legally free. except for the kids and the 2 cats who keep stealing my tea bags. and the fact im going to melbourne to meet a blogger and kiss him on the mouth. ooh err!

yay you andy, glad you're happy :)

12:38 PM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

as long as you're happy, andy. that is all that matters.

btw, i'd really like to see you do that meh act in real life.

5:05 PM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

Screw it.

Sometimes life's best motto.

7:00 PM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

way to go, buddy boy.
now all you have to do is forget about her trifling self all together.

11:52 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Sorry... who were we talking about?

:)

7:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home