Now contains nuts.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Depp Impact

Johnny Depp’s work of recent times has been lauded, due to his inexplicable ability to bring something unique to the characters he portrays. From the staid entrance in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape through to the unanimously applauded depiction of Keith Richards in Pirates of the Caribbean, people simply cannot get enough of his talents.

And it is sheer talent, and imagination that he possesses. Let’s face it. He’s changed the way I look at actors, as I was once of the impression that for an actor to be considered “good”, they must play a character that has some form of mental illness.

Forrest Gump, I Am Sam, Rainman, The Hours… need I say more?

He’s made acting into a craft; an artform – instead of merely reciting lines well enough to make it convincing. His ability simply surpasses the vague gestures of the characters played by Hanks, Penn, Hoffman and Kidman et al.

He shows that acting is as much a creative skill as painting, writing or composing political election speeches.

But his uniqueness has brought about a heightened amount of scrutiny it seems.

From the reviews I’ve read about the upcoming Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, his channelling of Michael Jackson has left some people with a… wait for it… bitter taste in the mouth.

Whether you take that line as a neat little play on the chocolate theme, or some other sordid line regarding the allegations of which Jackson was absolved, it’s up to you.

Some people are finding it difficult to fathom that Willy Wonka is some creepy fellow, instead of the chirpy little urchin that dances gaily about in the novel, or the eerily reserved visage from the first movie. But I guess that’s just the thing.

Too many people are comparing this to the first adaptation of the novel that starred Gene Wilder, which was incorrectly named and featured some bogus scene of Charlie and Grandpa Joe flying about, belching.

I don’t remember reading that part… the soda was mentioned briefly in the novel, from what I can remember, but they never participated in drinking the stuff. Either way…

But again, Depp has assumed a persona that he believes befits the character - a rather brash selection of a real person, I’ll admit - but one I believe that is fitting. The subsequent discourse of whether Depp’s portrayal of the confection hermit is befitting has only served to reinforce how great an actor Depp is.

Any piece of art that is revolutionary, forward-thinking, and memorable is often a piece of art that is controversial. Depp’s composition of Willy Wonka has definitely spoken volumes for his aptitude in his art.

Anyone who derides his performance in this movie must have erroneously formed a preconceived idea of what Wonka must be… which is stupid.

I wonder how the people reacted when Picasso first unveiled Les Demoiselles d'Avignon, cos I imagine people would’ve had some preconceived ideas of art in their heads before viewing.

Oh, and one last thing… and this is off on a tangent… but I’ve been meaning to say this for a while; Roald Dahl was a far better children’s author than JK Rowling… there, I said it.

8 files below

Blogger cadiz12 said...

yeah, that silver fan chamber flying scene in the first movie was whack. my heart would always break and then swell with sweet victory during 'matilda.'

4:19 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Although I'm a sucker for the Harry Potter series, I do agree with you. I adore Roald Dahl. Haven't read one of his books since I was in primary school but I LOVED them. Really must pick one up again...

PS Johnny Depp is beautiful :)

4:45 PM

 
Blogger X said...

Dude, you lost me at "a bitter taste in the mouth". It's difficult to read when I'm laughing like an idiot. I'll come back to read the rest of the post when I've calmed down.

---X

7:32 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

I know I should say something witty and insightful to do this post justice, but the mere mention of Johnny Depp and Pirates of the Carribbean, I'm off in fantasy land!

Mmm...chocolate...

8:49 PM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

Hear, Hear.

Johnny Depp is one of the best actors around. I don't know if people would believe me if I said I watched Pirates of the Carribean nearly 5 times in one day. I watched every single bit of the Special Features on the DVD.

Yes, Roald Dahl kills JK Rowling's writings, but I am addicted to Harry Potter. I also liked Enid Blyton.

But one of my favourite childrens stories is The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery. For those who haven't read this, you have missed out. Big time. There's an online copy here.

9:47 PM

 
Blogger Ms Smack said...

I have been completely in love with the Willy Wonka story since it was first burnt into my eyeball as a child.

Now, as a *cough* adult, I am completely stoked to see the Competition that Wonka bars are running. YEP - you heard it. Buy certain products, find the golden wrapper and you too [with or without your grandpa] can win a tour of some wonderful edible chocolate factory.

Ok, so its not Gene Wilder, or Depp, its still a fabulous idea and exciting competition for modern day times with a twist of nostalga for me.

10:56 PM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

i always think willy wonka is a little bit 'evil'.

but anyway, i'm not exactly a big fan of johnny depp. i first noticed him in gossip magazines when he was dating kate moss. that was ages ago.

1:32 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Cadiz: Don't get me started on some of the subtle links between Matilda and Harry Potter ;) I loved Matilda... the book... not the character.

Mel: Whilst Potter isn't terrible, it is by no means as.. er... "good" as Roald Dahl's work. Of, course, this is my opinion. I've read forum arguments that debate each side...

PS: Does nothing for me... :)

X: I could've used so many other gags involving chocolate and cream, but that one was the least crass.

CB: I knew the mention of Johnny Depp would send you swooning... :)

Jen: I was surprised with Pirates, mainly because he used Keith Richards as inspiration behind the character in From Hell as well. But Jack Sparrow ("Captain" Jack Sparrow...) was far more amusing and charming than Inspector Fred Abberline.

Honeysmack: I've seen those adverts! Unless Nestle has been employing midget slave labour, and they have a giant meadow of chocolate... I don't think I'll be entering. It's a top idea, though :)

Chica: That, I guess, was always the enigma behind Willy Wonka... just what hid behind those twinkling eyes?

I don't admire Depp for the reasons that many women cite, mainly because I don't think he's drop dead gorgeous, and I don't really want to fuck his brains out... but the originality in his characterisations has me applauding.

The fact that the bastard hasn't aged one day since 21 Jumpstreet pisses me off a little...

8:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home