Now contains nuts.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Suspicions That Leave Us Cold

ChickyBabe got inspired by Kenneth, and now it’s my turn.

Over the past eight years that I’ve lived in Adelaide, I have grouped up with people, spent time with them, and then we have all dispersed or fallen out. This has happened due to changing circumstances, relocation, or a misunderstanding.

Let me clarify the final point.

Many years ago [Michael] and I studied together. We used to head out, talk to women and basically lived like the standard 20 year olds we were.

[Michael] eventually met a lovely girl. She was bright, friendly and liked to laugh a lot. Those two were a good match. As a group, we got along famously, providing support wherever we could and enjoying the foundation a friendship should afford. We went out with large groups constantly and held many parties.

However, as time went on, [Michael] grew suspicious of me. He would watch me as I conversed with his girlfriend, picking apart the words said, and making his own interpretation in the subtext of my discourse.

He confronted me one day, citing specific conversations and times, hoping to catch me out in an undeniable prosecution case in the charge of usurping his relationship.

Naturally I denied it. His girlfriend was far from my type.

He was livid with me, thinking that I was manipulating the situation so that I could pick up the pieces of their shattered relationship and live happily ever after. I told him to fuck off and come back when he had pulled his head out of his arse.

He rang me a couple days later to apologise, and that he’d spoken to his girlfriend who told him that there was no threat from me. I accepted his apology. Since then I’ve bumped into them a couple times, chatted briefly and then moved on. I don’t hear from them anymore.

My friend [John] had a nice girlfriend. She was totally besotted with him. She was a girl who was very easy to get along with. One time we bumped into each other in a food court and had lunch.

[John] seemed okay with this when he raised it with me, and everything seemed normal. However, after that there were a number of occasions in where [John] informed me that his relationship may be in trouble. Both times I told him to communicate with his missus, and that everything should be fine.

Later, however, his emails suddenly became terse and aggressive. We no longer speak. I have a feeling he is glad to be rid of me.

I have female friends as well. But now it has gotten to the point where I do not meet up with them unless their boyfriend is with them. This is despite the fact that I was friends with them well before they met said partner.

For as good a friends I know I can be with people, I do know that they will stick with and support their loved one. I don’t expect otherwise.

But on each of these occasions, I had no desire to “steal away” these people’s partners. The funny thing is, when someone actively tried to crack onto my ex-wife (when we were together), I was expected to get over it, and if I snobbed them, I would be the one in the wrong.

But seeing as this whole “losing friends through suspicions” has happened on more than one occasion, I do wonder whether it is something that I am doing wrong, and if there was something I could do to prevent it happening.

So it appears that I shouldn’t see my own female friends without their partners around. If that sustains the friendship, then so be it. If I cannot chat with mates' girlfriends, then so be that, too.

I'm not jealous that girls are "stealing" my mates away. I don't hate that my female friends have found happiness.

I just hate misunderstandings. And naturally... because it has happened more than once, I can only think that I am doing something wrong.

10 files below

Blogger ChickyBabe said...

I would not necessarily take it that you are doing something wrong, unless you are an incredible flirt, but only you can answer that :). These friends may have been very insecure men, the type who feel they must "own" their partners hence any male talking to them would have been a threat to their ego and masculinity.

Coming from the other side, I have lost male friends, ones who were just friends, whenever I was in a relationship, which led me to question if platonic friendships ever exist for some people. Are these the type of friends you had and lost, self-doubting and probably untrusting of their girlfriends that they could not believe a friendship could exist?

As for when the role was reserved, I have to ask who had the expectation that you would "get over it"? the friend/the ex/others... I think it's all relative to the situation and to the individual’s feelings (i.e. yours) at the time.

If you seriously believe you’re doing something wrong, why not ask a trustworthy male friend who doesn’t seem threatened so easily? Surely there must be someone.

(Sorry…long comment!)

9:09 PM

 
Blogger Ms Smack said...

It really sucks. A girl may say 'gee, I like your mate Andy' as part of her acceptance of his friends. Its sad that such a comment can be misconstrued into something its not.

Sadder still is that someone you valued didnt understand your level of loyalty and integrity well enough to not jump to conclusions and defame your character in the process.

I think that you're better off without them.

Don't guys get pissed when a lil bit of muff snaps her fingers? I would.

9:33 PM

 
Blogger Steph said...

I honestly don't think that guys like their girlfriends to get along with their mates. I've seen this situation so many times before. There is definantly a line that can be crossed. But each person has a different idea about where that line is. As long as you weren't flirting, being suggestive or touchy feely, then you haven't done anything wrong. Their loss i reckon.

11:17 PM

 
Blogger iluvnyc said...

i really do believe that there's such thing called friendship between man and woman... i dunno if you do anything wrong 'cuz i don't see how you interact w/ your female friends. but i do agree w/ the rest say, it's all about insecurity.

i lost some of my very good guy friends in the past 'cuz of the jealousy of my ex. later i regret it so much. now? i don't wanna lose any of my friends over anybody 'cuz i realize that friends are the people i can rely on if the relationship hits rock bottom... if i lose them, then i'll be extremely miserable 'cuz i don't have anybody to go to...

your friends need to stand up for themselves and realize the value of their friendship with you :)

5:15 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Okay... thanks for the comments, guys.

In these two occasions, I can tell you that I hadn't flirted with these women. I had simply been what I like to call "myself" around them. Besides, I can usually gauge how well I am getting along with someone by how they react towards me, and I adjust my attitude accordingly.

ie if they seem stand-offish, then I don't talk to them as much. If they are pleasant to me, then I am equally friendly back.

In the first example, it just happened suddenly. Perhaps I was too naive to see it coming.

In the second example, I wasn't flirting in any way, and neither was she. I could tell she loved [John], as she told me should could never travel without him, and numerous other things that suggested that it was him alone. However, in hindsight, having lunch with her was probably a mistake.

Oh, and we would peck each other on the cheek as goodbye, but she was the one who instigated that... not me (I remember because I thought it odd... but I can't exactly not give a cheek peck back. How rude is that?).

The second example I could've prevented maybe... but still... do I appear rude to her to save the friendship... or am I pleasant to everyone?

It seems that the path to hell really is paved with good intentions...

8:56 AM

 
Blogger Kaufman said...

Andy, I can honestly say that I've never been through what you've described here. At least not from the perspective that I was to blame for interfering in a relationship. However, I think I have a foot in the grave of why these things occur, particularly having been on the side of the Doubting Thomas. But that was about fifteen years ago, when my brain still thought that I should beat my chest and bludgeon a would-be competitor with a deer's femur.

I don't know many boys to men out there completely aware of their own character; not their genetic make-up but those intricate things that make them tick and exist as their true individual selves. I believe it takes experiences of extreme highs and extreme lows in life's little game of Charades to get an understanding of who we are. I don't think the boys to men you've described are at the point of truly knowing themselves as they're still displaying some of the insecurities associated with immature Aussie guys, where they'd sooner go the biff or the verbal spit than to stop, think and reach neutral ground where common sense awaits.

For personal comparison, my wife is a stunner and I've never had issues with her talking to my friends or strangers who do what comes naturally - trying to pick her up - because I'm more than aware of the numerous connections we share and the love that exists between us.

In my opinion, the Aussie male ego (and mentality) gets in the way more often than not, particularly if it's incapable of distinguishing a harmless incident from a real threat.

9:27 AM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

it cud either be that they have a low self esteem or a higher esteeem (pradatory insticts bout the opp sex) bout u, so that cud only be a good thing, but i mentioned on chicky's blog that usually women seemed petty as regards the bf stealin matter, clearly i was wrong

7:14 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

All of these are valid comments, and I thank every one of you for your opinion.

I'm not totally sure on this, but from what I've seen, the mere indication that there is a threat of a partner leaving person A oftentimes causes person A to take steps to remove the threat, or somehow sabotage links to the threat. As human beings, we often seek a life which has the least discomfort, and in doing so, remove things from our life that make us feel uncomfortable.

BT3, Kenneth and Stephen: ne'er a truer word been spoken :)

But comfort in a relationship possibly boils down to how both people make each other feel. As long as there is something in the mind to tell you that you're the one and only in your partner's life, then they can ramble on about other gorgeous people to their heart's content... because you know they're happy with you.

But it's up to both people in the relationship to do that.

That's my two cents in a can of worms I opened all by myself.

8:50 AM

 
Blogger Kaufman said...

"As long as there is something in the mind to tell you that you're the one and only in your partner's life, then they can ramble on about other gorgeous people to their heart's content... because you know they're happy with you."

Exactly. I'd go a step further and add that there is most likely also something in the heart to tell you the same. We're all attracted by other people from time to time but there's a distinct difference between thinking (and perhaps saying) "Corrr, she's h-o-t!" and the intention to shag the daylight out of her. This applies both ways.

Attraction is natural but it doesn't signify that something more sinister and physical is going to happen, especially when friends are involved.

9:17 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Oh, and I just wanted to say that I only wondered if I was doing something wrong because I am trying to remain a bit objective to the situation.

I am not a person who simply likes to point the finger outwards to protect my own ego... as most people do. I've known most people to simply blame everyone else, even though the exact same mistakes happen all the time.

I'd prefer to consider that maybe I might be to blame, just so I can consider all circumstances. It's far too easy to blame everyone else.

11:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home