Now contains nuts.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The paper that P's me off

The front page of the local rag has pronounced that cycle rider Amy Gillett was struck down by a “P-plater” in Germany, whilst training for her cycling.

(A “P-Plater”, for those who are unaware, is a term applied to drivers in Australia who are on a probationary license. These drivers must display a “P Plate” on both the front and rear windows of their car. More often than not, a P Plater is someone in their teens and is an inexperienced driver. There has been much press lately about how irresponsible they are)

I’m somewhat irate at the paper, as from what I can gather, Germany doesn’t have “P Platers” so there was no real reason to use this term at all… enough ire has been directed at our young drivers lately, and this blatant attempt to stir the pot and point all social ills at P Platers is stupid, for wont of a better word.

Yes, I know my last post did imply that I think young drivers drive erratically, but it was purely tongue in cheek, and I never once suggested that they were going to kill somebody. I never used the term “P Platers” either.

But I can’t get pissed off at the paper. Not now.

The paper has advertised for jobs in Japan, and I must get busy writing my application…

But I have a topic for tomorrow…

2 files below

Blogger Kaufman said...

I've spent some time in Japan in the past.

Tips:
Bring your favourite anti-perspirant deodorant [not the 'smells nice' kind but the 'keeps my pits reasonably dry' kind] x 8 coz there's nothing comparable in Japan.
Bring plenty of money because you'll no doubt be paid monthly, so if you arrive half-way through a month, your first payment will be a month-and-a-half after you arrive.
Bring your favourite clothes as clothing can be UNBELIEVABLY expensive, unless buying from second-hand shops.
Bring any legal addictions you may miss from home: cigs, spreads, lollies, etc. coz there's sweet f.a. of what you recognise in Australia in Japan. If only bread and pizzas kept longer than a day...
Practice your American accent, coz when you're out on the town and drunk like a 13-year-old on his first encounter with six bottles of cider, people will assume you're a drunk American. People will assume you're American anyway, but it doesn't hurt to practice the gentle art of deception.
Good luck with the job front. It's an amazing place to spend a bit and more good than bad will come of it.

;)

11:09 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Thanks BT351. :)

I've spoken to some people in Japan at the moment, and they've told me the same thing re being paid by the month and trying to not borrow money to help get set up.

At the moment, I have a fair bit of money put aside (over $10,000) for the trip, so I hope I can get by.

However, a development happened yesterday... which has delayed the trip a little...

12:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home