Now contains nuts.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Rules of Peak Hour…

Things I have learned from driving in peak hour traffic.

Swear words can be strung together to make one huge encompassing word that possibly could never end, oxygen allowing.

The car window is not to be used as a form of ventilation, but only so that the gap in the window can be filled with your arm, brandishing your finger in a glorious one-fingered salute.

The car’s “warning device” should only be used as a musical instrument. Despite the fact most/all (legal) horns have only one note, it doesn’t stop the driver from angrily belting out Nirvana’s Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Other drivers are not sharing the commute with you - they are competing with you. Any attempts to change lanes should be blocked with the stoic stubbornness of a bouncer refusing entry to a poorly dressed patron: “Not in those tyres, sonny…”

Indicators are completely and totally optional in their use. Other drivers should have the ESP of a Jedi, and therefore should be able to predict what you’re going to do way before you perform the manoeuvre.

Leaving a space across an intersection only promotes wastage of space. If there is any gap in traffic, it should be filled despite the fact that the lights are green for the cars travelling in the direction perpendicular to you. Traffic Tetris rules adhere, ie fill all the gaps.

You must tailgate in order to prevent anyone from cutting in front of you. If you follow that three-second rule, you will only have to make way for someone else coming into your lane, and you will need to slow down to make a three-second distance between you and the new car in front. This slows you down over time. Tailgating must be maintained in order to keep a constant and quick speed.

Many people think the left lane is the least used (in Australia) as it reduces the risk of becoming stuck behind a parked car. Not true. It is there so that young drivers in their ultra fast cars can swoop around and get to the front of the queue, because they’re in a hurry, and the rest of us aren’t.

If a car does become trapped behind a parked car, it is the driver’s fault and should be ridiculed by method of simply not letting him into the lane. Drive on, oblivious to his or her plight. It’s not like they’ll hunt you down for not letting them in… hell, they should know the rules of peak hour.

It is also a common fallacy that bus lanes are for the sole use of busses. Not so. Again, these are the lanes of the young driver who must make it to the front of the queue. It’s peak hour, so they’re allowed to. My right to do this was taken away the moment I turned 27.

You are allowed to fantasise about pulling out the driver in front and smashing their head on the windscreen of their car, as they brandish some form of lame purple bumper sticker that preaches life is, in fact, a wonderful thing, and that the world is a playground of giant mushrooms, magic, fairies and swirling stars with smiley faces. Repeated participation in peak hour will soon cause that driver to rip off that sticker and chop it up in a ritual reminiscent of the final scene in Apocalypse Now.

If an accident happens, stare at it. Constantly. Do not remove your gaze. Even adjust your rearview mirror so that you can see it when you’ve passed by. Turn to whoever you can and utter, “Did you see that?”.

Emergency vehicles should also adhere to these rules. No one cares who is dying, what house is on fire, or which drug dealer is escaping authorities. Whoever you are, whatever your vocation… you’re stuck in this pit of metal and poison gas like the rest of us.

Ultimately, I have learned from peak hour that no matter who you are, how rich you seem, or whatever you drive… you’re still one of us, and you’re trapped here… like the rest of us.

Unless you’re young…

4 files below

Blogger Jenni said...

I'm sorry, Andy. I try to strain out as much pity as I might have there in the depths of my heart for you stuck there in traffic but I'm still young and so re: left lane -

It is there so that young drivers in their ultra fast cars can swoop around and get to the front of the queue

still applies to me.

I'll grasp fast any opportunity to get me to destination B as fast as possible.

And helpful hint with tailgating - it best works when you're behind a siren wailing ambulance. Inevitably all cars make way and so you're travelling without obstacle by tailgating the ambulance.

But other than that, I always let people in front of me. If they don't wave a hand to thank me, however, I change lanes and overtake them.

10:59 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Thanks Jen :)

I forgot to mention that the tongue was in the cheek there.

I constantly use the left lane myself... but for comedic purposes I thought I'd inject that line in there. :) I always let people in as well... i'm just never let in myself... and on the rare occasions that I am, I always wave thanks.

I never tailgate, either. People always take advantage of that... My brother had a bad run in with tailgating (literally) so I lay off the car in front.

Basically, all there is my observations of other drivers... not my actual practice... :)

11:14 AM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Don’t start me on indicators! People always cut in in front of you and then indicate...grrrr… ESP indeed! And as for fantasising, I have a recurrent one involving drivers who leave their door wide open while they just sit around or stand there doing nothing. I’d love to take out that door in my fantasy fire truck sounding my horn to the tune of …

8:41 PM

 
Blogger Kaufman said...

I particularly enjoy it when people park on top of a crest, where no visibility for what's coming from the opposite direction exists. Again, it's a case of ESP coming into play, though I've noticed that with an adequately equipped bullbar, the situation virtually solves itself.

Hey, the people letting you in bit where you've got nowhere else to go is all good and well, and I'm a firm believer in letting in people ahead of me, provided you're not one of these clowns who thinks you can squeeze every last millimetre out of the lane that's got nowhere to go and THEN be let in. It's like dickheads who expect to cut in line [any line]: you deserve to wait twice as long as the rest. And maybe even a public whipping with a cat-o-nine tails.

9:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home