Now contains nuts.

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Andy: The Inspiration...

I was having a chat with an ex of mine the other night, and we were talking about inspirational people.

Naturally, I cited many of history’s prominent figures, such as Ghandi, Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King.

“Why?” she queried, raising an eyebrow somewhat suspiciously. I was wondering where she was heading with this.

“Because they furthered a cause, suffered through adversity and changed the world as we see it.” I concluded with a smug smile.

“Is that the only way to be inspired?” She asked, “Do people have to alter an entire globe in order to be inspirational?

“You were an inspiration to me” she said suddenly, catching me off guard.

“Me?” I ventured, again wondering where the hell she was going with this. I could feel myself shifting uneasily in my seat.

“Oh, absolutely.” She said. “After we broke up, and I had heard through the grapevine that you were buying a house with [wife].”

“Ohh… kay” I tentatively answered.

“That inspired me a lot.” she continued.

“How?” I queried. I was thinking that perhaps she was inspired by my “grab life by the horns” attitude; that I simply wasn’t content to accept a comfortable place in life and I moved ahead, regardless of its fiscal hurdles.

“Well, I heard you were buying the house together, so I went and bought my own house… on my own.” She stated.

“Okay, go on…”

“I wanted to prove to you that I didn’t need to buy a house with someone. That I was okay on my own.” She expanded.

“So… you’re effectively claiming that I was an inspiration to you, simply out of spite. You wanted to spite me, and that in turn inspired you?”

“Yep” she concluded, a satisfied look on her face.

The rest of the evening was a bit hazy, but I think I spent a lot of the time putting my head into a pillowcase and swearing a lot.

It’s not exactly a top feeling to know that someone is actually in a better place in their life because you left them out of yours…

In a way, it’s kinda amusing, though…

5 files below

Blogger chica bonita said...

so now inspiration comes in a good and bad way huh? how weird. but then again, just as long as she's happy. no, i wasn't smirking. *innocent smile*

7:11 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

*shaking head*

Hanging around exes can only bring demise and frustration. It’s like going to reunions, school/uni/whatever where the aim is just to show the other party that we’ve done better than them. Remember, exes are exes for a reason. And they’re NOT inspirational by any means, no matter how “good friends” we are with them. Been there…done that :(.

9:11 PM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

I like her attitude.

9:59 PM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

that was hilarious

4:24 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Chica: She seems happy with her lot in life. You gotta admire that, at least.

CB: Maybe. Maybe. Inspiration can come in a many forms, i think.. not just from people doing positive things.

Jen: Oh she's a firecracker, alright. Probably why i went out with her in the first place.

Kenneth: It's a funny story alright. Nothing like being put back in your place by an ex who likes to tease.

10:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home