Now contains nuts.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

I'm never last picked...

A few weeks ago, I went to a quiz night. Normally, I associate quiz nights with a bunch of people who should get out a little more, and trivia buffs with bad body odour.

However, this quiz night was about music, so it couldn’t have been all that bad. Music, despite my sheer lack of rhythm, skill and… well… talent, is actually something I follow with some fervour.

I liked Elliot Smith before he decided to top himself. I enjoy the music of Nick Drake, and Muse are still the best fucking live band in the world today.

On the night, despite receiving constant ribbing from the MC, we all had an okay time. I guess the MC just loved the fact that we couldn’t come up with a decent table name, and instead ran with the moniker “Table Pi”. Oh we copped shit about that, despite the team name actually being the idea of the leggy blonde assistant to the MC. Go figure.

I personally wanted “Go Rock Yourself”, but was shunned down by my company.

But then again, our table name allowed us to throw little jokes in on our answer sheet with the numeral 3.142 blah, blah, blah.

And then there was the one way banter between the MC and our table:

MC: And there’s Table Pi, wallowing away in a pool of their own shame.

Me (calls back): Um… that isn’t shame!

MC: Moving along…

Me: *disappears under the table in a pool of shame, or something else*


Where was I going again? Oh yeah.

The various tables covered a myriad of different demographics. You had the music nuts of Three D radio, the table of music nerds, the super alternative we-know-shit-loads-of-obscure-bands-who-you-should-like-otherwise-we’ll-nut-yer people, the girls out for a lark, the young-uns who snuck out when their parents weren't looking, and the early-twenties trying something new.

And then there was us… the one’s with no idea whatsoever. Well, we didn’t come last. We didn’t come first, either.

Naturally, the questions were suitably obscure, befitting a crowd of such dynamic dimensions. Of course, there was something for the kiddly winks, just so they could get a point or two.

However, when going over the answers, something became bleedingly obvious to me, as a result of the subsequent boo-ing and flying insults whenever a pop icon was mentioned (I just edited this in... it was actually an important part of this post, and I forgot it. My bad.):

If something is popular… it must be crap.

I mean, I’m all for the death penalty for Gwen Stefani, but there must’ve been some point in time when people thought she was okay… you know, when she was playing in smoky bars, bouncing along to her music, stopping only to pull out her credit card, chop up some lines of cocaine and skull a whole bottle of cheap bourbon.

But I guess when it comes to music, the moment that someone appears to be about money, they are immediately branded “shithouse”. And in most cases I've agreed with it… U2, I’m looking at you. Take off your iPods for a second and listen to me.

Jeff Buckley was cool until everyone liked him. Perhaps one can only take so much of “Have you heard this song, Last Goodbye? It’s absolutely brilliant.”

“I heard it seven years ago, wanker.”

But I know that I do it, too - and I don't like it. The moment that something appears in the charts, I immediately start banging on about how crap it is. I’m the guy who says that the FooFighters latest drivel of music is a far cry from the brilliance of their earlier stuff, and that desire to sell records has corrupted their integrity.

And people want to punch me in the face.

Hard.

For fuck’s sake, it’s just music. Fuck principles. Fuck integrity. Fuck moneymaking companies and their quest to brainwash the kiddies to steal the pocket money they earned by mowing lawns, washing cars and making Nike sweaters.

I’m trying to turn over a new leaf; Just because something is popular, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s crap.

And leave Kirsten Dunst alone.

14 files below

Blogger Jenni said...

Hey dude, I like Gwen Stefani. But that's cos of her ability to stay in shape.
Look at her age, yet she's managing to keep her abs washboard flat so much more easily than me! (It may quite possibly have something to do with my laziness about going to the gym, but , but , but still!)

10:36 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I think of that as snobbery of sorts. Just because a band becomes more popular to the mainstream audience does not make it crap, nor does it make the people who have only just started listening to them idiots. For example, Powderfinger. Have been a fan for many years, before they made it big, and their music has developed over the years, not become shithouse because they make more money now. And if their fanbase grows, more power to them.

10:43 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Jen: I don't like her music... it is like nails on a blackboard. But what you say about her is granted... but it's her "artwork" I don't like. :) The people at this quiz night boo-ed at her name being mentioned.

Mel: I'm trying to change, honestly! Really, I am!

10:48 AM

 
Blogger jazz said...

i also like gwen stefani. she's a powerhouse of a woman. and she's hot.

table pi? come on. you guys are losers. ;)

also, every time you mention kirsten dunst i lose a litte more respect for you. what is it about her?

3:05 PM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

andy!!! don't pick on gwen stefani. i love the collections of LAMB bags she designed.

and hmm... why kirsten dunst appeared out of nowhere in this post? she isn't related to music is she?

3:46 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:19 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Jazz: Ugh... what people find attractive is largely subjective, and really shouldn't be a basis for which to judge them. I guess that's part of the point of this post.

Just because I'm not a fan of Gwen, it doesn't mean I'm willing to paint everyone who likes her with that same brush.

I'm sure I could equally ridicule your taste in whatever, but that would be hypocritical of me. To determine that one's opinion is somehow "better" than anothers seems... erroneous... at best.

... and table pi wasn't my idea. The leggy assistant suggested it, and because we couldn't think of anything else... :) We were on a square table, ironically enough.

Chica: The Kirsten Dunst reference was linked to the "Just because it's popular, it doesn't mean it's crap" sentence. ANother blogger had criticised how I went for "mainstream" women.

I could quite easily say that I like gwen stefani because she's hot, and can magically pull off the blonde hair and dark eyes look, but no... I'm basing my opinion of her on how she has formed popularity on the basis of her music... which incidentally, i don't like.

It's subjective. Don't hate me... hate my opinion. You may hate caramel... I don't lose respect for you because of it.

4:20 PM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

i really liked gwen stefani because people who make beauty out of their pain are awesome, and i really liked 'don't speak.'

i even thought the line of bags were cute and i've always admired her sense of style.

but then i read an article about how she keeps the l.a.m.b. harajuku girls on a pretty tight leash and won't even let them speak english b/c it'd ruin the image. she takes them everywhere and they're always in the background. i'm not entirely sure all that is true, but salon.com usually has pretty good journalistic integrity. their columnist likened it to human pets.

that just makes me shudder. just like kirsten dunst. sorry, andy. but we can agree to disagree, right?

4:52 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Of course we can agree to disagree, Cadiz :) Of course we can.

But i've read, and re-read this post... and I've now since concluded that I've totally mucked it up, and haven't explained things properly... so I'm just gonna sit back and take it.

Must try harder.

4:55 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Yep, anything popular is crap! Exactly the kind of attitude you'd expect from a Triple J listener! Nothing new here... Been there, heard that :).

6:52 PM

 
Blogger Sherri said...

Gwen Stefani - B-A-N-A-N-A-S = STUPID!!!! I can't stand that song....liked her in No Doubt though.

And Kirsten Dunst??? No...I refuse to leave her alone. In fact I'm going to call her right now and pick on her and her bad posture! (You're dying for the number aren't you, Andy?)

9:29 PM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

I believe Oasis is the best performing band...but thats just me ofcourse and i also liked Gwen Stefani - Don't Speak, from her No Doubt days

11:48 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

So we disagree then? Everyone okay with that? Cool.

:)

7:54 AM

 
Blogger X said...

*stands protectively in front of Gwen Stefani*

---X

8:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home