Now contains nuts.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Focus!

I think that there have been too many extrinsic factors in my life lately, and I should just cut back and focus on the thing that probably helped me through the toughest stage of this whole “episode” of my life (ie end of marriage).

Japan. I was going overseas for a while, and it was that thought alone that kept me going. It gave me direction.

I think I lost that for a while there.

I got international roaming for my phone today. My trip is becoming very, very real. Exciting… yet scary.

Before, I simply couldn’t wait to get out. I was remorseless in going. I was vehement in my plans for departure, hoping to hold a single finger aloft, whilst marching through the international departures terminal as this country seemingly spat me out.

Now it’s different. I’m still going overseas, that much is clear. But I think I’ll miss this place now.

I’m starting to feel as though I’m supported in my plans. Friends are helping me out, others giving encouragement, and some are even finding it inspiring that I’ve grabbed life by the horns and have usurped control.

It was even easy to ring Telstra (local phone company) to update and obtain international roaming for my mobile phone (cell phone). I wasn’t even placed on hold… just went straight through to an operator.

Because, in Australia, you only need to know three phrases: “My shout” (signifying that you are paying for the next round of drinks), “Your shout”, and “Fucking Telstra” (such is their “exemplary” level of customer support).

(I totally ripped that joke off a local comedian…)

But rather than sitting alone in a cold, grey, empty departure terminal at 5.00am, waiting for the 8.00am flight to Osaka, as I had initially planned and envisaged, I can now imagine friends there, giving me hugs, kisses and wishes of Godspeed. I can even imagine my wife there, telling me that she hopes the door doesn’t hit my arse on the way out, as she doesn’t want arse-prints on the door.

(I totally ripped that joke off Futurama…)

Before a 5-hour layover in bloody Sydney airport, knowing my luck.

(Adelaide’s new international terminal is still being built as I type, so I will probably have to go via Sydney.)

It’s nice to have some level of focus back. It gives you drive, determination and stability. Also, it reassures you that those people whom you told to go have sexual intercourse with themselves will have well and truly forgotten about you by the time you return from that distant exotic country.

I was such an irate little twerp a couple months ago. Good thing it’s getting out of my system, as I reckon that the law of averages would ensure that I ticked off someone who knows lots of big men with baseball bats who have “Mayhem” tattooed across their jugular.

(I totally ripped that joke off Just Shoot Me… geez, that’s going back a while…)

Knowing my luck… it’s probably good I got this focus back. Life was looking like some daytime soap opera love scene...

Maybe I should take the panty hose off my head...


I'm coming... be there soon.

8 files below

Blogger cadiz12 said...

it's so beautiful to be excited again. especially after the things you've had to give up lately.

will you be on blog hiatus while you're gone?

btw, a while back, i read this book called 'tokyo suckerpunch.' it was sort of a comicbook novel without the drawings. but it had all the fighting, the mystery, the adventure. sorry, it's hard to classify. but i got swept away by japan in it, and i keep thinking about it when i read about your trip.

i hope you have a really great time. bon voyage!

5:02 PM

 
Blogger X said...

For real, man. You should find yourself an Internet while you're there so the rest of us can read about it.

Good luck and such for when you go.

---X

5:47 PM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

Andy mate, I wish you all the luck in the world

5:54 PM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

When do you go?

Make sure you buy a short pink wig, like in Lost in Translation.

And yo, Sydney airport ain't that bad. Well..I suppose any airport is bad for a 5hr wait.

6:50 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

There's nothing better than having focus and direction in life after a period of loss. Your enthusiasm and drive are evident in your words. Your new life is awaiting you. Go and grab it!

7:22 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Cadiz: I vaguely know that Tokyo Suckerpunch thing, but I will look into it soon :) I probably won't be on blog hiatus, I may rename the blog to suit... but I may not be updating as frequently as I am at the moment.

X: I will endeavour to do that :) I'm sure the culture shock will make for great material, or it will make my head explode. :)

Kenneth: Cheers, dude. :) I'll take some photos of the Suzuka Grand Prix for ya!

Jen: I'm hoping for an October departure, but a lot of it is dependent on a certain other little factors. Also, my japanese is slipping from my mind a bit. I was hoping for a bit of coaching from a friend, but she hasn't had much time.

Why would I want a pink wig? So I can attract men three times my age? :)

CB: I do have the drive to leave, although what I'm leaving behind is starting to weigh on my mind a bit. But it'll only be a year. I will grab it. :)

8:33 AM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

Nah, so you can give it to me of course.

Or even better for you, give it to a girl you meet in zen gardens in Kyoto to wear. Some girls look pretty with a pink wig.

10:41 AM

 
Blogger iluvnyc said...

don't forget taking pix.. :)

2:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home