Now contains nuts.

Monday, June 06, 2005

Weathering the Pixie

People can sometimes be easily classed in your head. Yes, it’s wrong to judge people, but there are times when you can simply sum someone up and place them on a certain point of a scale.

For instance, that person who strutted up to you on the street and started gassing on about why some ethereal being placed humankind on a rock and flung it at 30,000 kays per second around a fireball… they’re on the “nutjob” end of the scale.

Or even that guy who told you that you “totally fucked it up” in a bar... yeah, he “ain’t quite right”.

But say, Nelson Mandella, Ghandi, the Dalai Lama, and Kirsten Dunst (I sincerely, sincerely hope… [if you’re reading this, Kirsten, drop me an email, plzkthxbai!]) [/kirstendunststalker] are on the other side ie totally and utterly respectable and admirable, leaving you with a sense of awe.

But with other people, you can’t help but dangle them above the scale as you simply don’t know where they stand. Either they are totally brilliant… or they are totally insane.

Take the weather pixie for example.

On one hand I think that she has the steely resolve borne from years of hardship in war torn Kosovo, and after escaping is revelling in our country’s “mild” weather. I mean, how else could you frock up in this:



… when it’s twelve degrees Celsius… or 53..6 degrees Fahrenheit.



And here she is in 8 degree celcius (46.4 fahrenheit) weather, and as a double whammy, she's in the rain, with a cute little midriff top. Yeah, that'll shield you from the elements...

And yet she’s still there, sultry look on her dial, a slight, ever so appealing smile dissecting her steely visage.

In any language, in any method of measuring temperature, it still is what is commonly known as “fucking cold, guv’nah” or even the more amusing term “brass monkey weather”.

I haven’t seen such a high threshold of pain since driving past one of Adelaide’s popular night clubs at 3am when it was raining cats, dogs and other such domestic animals unfortunate enough to be in the sky. It was ice cold outside and yet I was still seeing a pride of girls standing around as though it were a warm summer’s evening, wearing attire not too dissimilar to what WP is offering.

Not that I was complaining. In fact, I reckon I came close to having an accident from not watching the road. Even then I’m pretty sure I would’ve been approached by all these kids and then asked if I had “any”. I would then profit from selling $20 headache tablets.

And then I would class these people at the “idiot” end of the scale. Which in turn is affecting my interpretation of WP’s spot on the meter.

So she’s either totally strong, or numb from the hair down.

Or… she was designed, drawn and produced by deprived males with no sense of actual winter fashion…

Disclaimer: This post does in no way sum up my opinion on bloggers who implement WP. This post was a concerted effort to try and up the mood from the worryingly depressing tone exhibited over the past few weeks. If I failed… well… who cares? Oh and I’m kidding about the whole Kirsten Dunst thing. Kinda…

Edit: And sorry to those who didn't know who WP was. I have since added a link to where you may survey weather pixie in his or her glory.

Further Edit: Pictures now up... sorry for the delay and confusion.

11 files below

Blogger jazz said...

i have no idea who the weather pixie is. am i alone in this?

11:31 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Sorry, my bad

http://weatherpixie.com/

That'll sort out that drama. Sorry.

12:04 PM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

And..the weather pixie isn't a real person?

2:45 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Yes... therein lying the absurdity (ie the inane factor - this is the inane asylum)...

:)

3:14 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

This post is hilarious! I have a weather pixie on my blog, and most of the time I feel like lending her some of my winter clothes, a jacket at least! I mean, it’s 9oC in the middle of the night, and she’s showing her midriff!

She may numb from the hair down, Andy, but she has a way of giving me the evil eye sometimes! But she’s cute, isn’t she?? :)

6:16 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Thanks CB! I was thinking that I was alone in my analysis of the pixie. Phew!

Whilst I'm not into cartoons, due to their two dimensional appearances, I'm sure that if she were somehow personified, yeah... she'd be cute.

7:41 PM

 
Blogger X said...

Maybe I'm alone on this, but Melissa's weatherpixie is hot.

And I think they were designed by a woman as well. So I guess the "numb from the hair down" explanation fits. Which is the more hilarious explanation anyway.

---X

9:47 PM

 
Blogger Sherri said...

Andy,

I have a weather pixie on my blog like ChickyBabe. I have thought many times as I sit in a sweater and boots while it's 40 degrees outside and the weather pixie is wearing a tank top and lo-rise jeans that she was ridiculous. I mean, who really came up with these outfits???

And no I don't take offense.... :)

5:20 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Thanks X. You just have to go and ruin my punch line with "facts".

Hmph.

:)

10:26 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Actually, the link wasn't there before, so your comment was wholly justified at that point in time. My fault. :|

12:09 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Much better with photos, Andy. And Sherri, I'm glad you agree. This chick must have pneumonia by now!

Somehow I had a feeling you always wanted your very own weather pixie on your blog ;). Enjoy...

7:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home