Now contains nuts.

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Solution to Emissions and Tubs

There was much ado about our fuel prices before. However, they’re coming down after being in record highs for the past month or so.

A couple months ago, however, there was an equal – if not more - amount of ado about the Australian’s Government’s refusal to sign up for the Kyoto Protocol. This said ado was due to our country being rated as one of, if not the worst expellers of emissions on the gas ball we our globe.

I was watching the news the other night - at the time when fuel was at its most expensive - and I was simply amazed at some of the interviews they had with motorists complaining about the pump prices.

And I shit you not:

“It’s terrible. I’m hesitant to use my car, and I’m having to walk everywhere.”

“I’ve had to use public transport.”

“I’ve had to sell my two first born children into slavery, and my thoroughbred horsey to the violin shop, just so that I can fuel my twin turbo V10 Volkswagen Black Cloud Machine. I need to reach my manicurist who operates just around the corner, and I also need to pop down to the booze-o to pick up my daily bottle of Moet”

Maybe I’ve exaggerated the third one a little. I think it was Moet & Chandon. But the first two were genuine.

I’m sure there are plenty of things in the world that are much worse than walking. Like… catching public transport, in where you run the risk maybe being annoyed by someone’s ringtone. But… ugh… Look, I’m having trouble expressing my incredulity.

But maybe we’re onto something here.

Governments have been trying to address a massive obesity problem lately, and henceforth maybe reduce the rising diagnostics of diabetes. There has been much talk of education programs to teach people the importance of a healthy diet and exercise.

Also, scientists around the globe has been fervently trying to come up with an alternative fuel source, so that we’re not so reliant on the planet’s ever dwindling fossil fuel canyons. Our local government has been running extensive ad campaigns to entice people to use the public transport system, despite the fact that our network of bus and rail is second only to the dusty cart tracks of Nepal.

So much for attempting to discover an alternate fuelling method that doesn’t kill the planet, or instigate wars, as a solution to both these scourges was simple.

Whop up the prices of fuel… Now they should run another campaign: Use our buses or maybe walk. It sure beats paying through the nose for fuel, Tubby.

4 files below

Blogger chica bonita said...

i can't drive. boyfriend has to chauffeur me around. now that he has left, i still have bro and mates to drive me but of course only when they're free unlike boyfriend who was 24 hours on call.

i reckon the public transport system in WA is good (on daytime), at least to get to the places i usually go to. and it's not too bad to catch a bus really.

the cure to obesity: just cut out the three course meal! hehe

12:03 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Oh gawd. My ex didn't drive, either. It was an awful life of constantly being sober.

But I like driving... ho well.

I'm sure that any other place on the planet has a superior public transport system than what we have to endure here.

... I don't know how to cure obesity... so I hope I don't suffer from it in the future. I'm a rake at the moment...

1:03 PM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

i used to have license but i didn't renew it so it's gone. technically, i still can drive. i can drive automatic cars. as for manual cars, i'm not so sure now. but it's not wise to go on road without license isn't it? so it's easier to say 'i can't drive'.

i don't think you'll become obese judging from the photo. too skinny. usually skinny people don't gain weight no matter how much they eat. unfair! :-p

1:29 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Driving without a license is a risky idea, because if anything wrong happens, you could be up for a helluva lotta money and/or trouble.

I'm too skinny, based upon a blurry photo of my head? Geez... I must be thinner than I thought... I must check the mirrors in my house.

2:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home