Now contains nuts.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

All Over The Place

As part of my going to Japan, I have participated in and completed an Intensive Japanese course, just so I can visit the country and not be totally oblivious to what people are saying to me.

This course involved a lot of writing, reading, homework, practice and listening to tapes.

Now, I am confident that a conversation with a resident of Japan would go something along the lines of:

Me: Good morning! How are you?

Person Fluent in Japanese: I’m fine, thank you very much. Nice weather we are having, aren’t we?”

Me: Er… Good morning? I’m fine, thank you.

Person Fluent in Japanese: O… kay. You’re some kind of moron aren’t you? You
do know that it’s 1.00pm and therefore not morning anymore, yeah?

Me: (nodding and smiling) Good morning!

Person Fluent in Japanese: I’m just going to… leave… now…

Me: Good morning!


Or something to that effect, anyway. I can’t help but feel that I could do much better had I actually done the writing, reading, homework, practice and listening to tapes. But nevertheless, last night I receive my certificate in the mail, congratulating me upon my successful completion of the course.

I love unaccredited training…

Anyway, it appears that I won’t be appearing on SBS’s Insight program, which is probably a bit of a neat bullet-dodge when I think about it. They said they were going to contact the successful people last week, and the filming is set to take place on the 7th of April. I haven’t received no email or call, so I think it’s safe to assume that they’ve got enough nutbags to spout cliché’s at random.

So, I’m going to play cliché bingo when I watch the show. Every time I hear a phrase, I will cross it off my list until they are all gone. Here they are:

Insight Cliché Bingo - What Men and Women Want In A Relationship

“Confidence”

“Treat ‘em mean, keep ‘em keen”

“A good sense of humour”

“Looks aren’t important”

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”

“Girls say they want nice guys, but why can’t I find anyone when I’m a nice guy?” or “Girls say they want nice guys, but end up dating arseholes.”

“Money”

“Just be confident” (it will probably be mentioned multiple times… from both genders.)

That’s all I can think of at the moment. But before you ask, no, these aren’t necessarily my own sentiments or beliefs. Hell, seeing as I’m not going on the show, I might as well spurt out a transcript of what might have transpired.

Interviewer: So, Andy. You’re newly single and have been dealing with a new world of singledom. What is it that you think women want?

Me: That’s largely subjective I think. I mean, some women could be after adventure, spontaneity, excitement and a yearning anticipation for what the next day brings. Other women could be seeking security, responsibility and routine. But even then these women’s priorities could fluctuate between these two poles willy-nilly.

Interviewer: What makes you say that?

Me: Well, people are capable of change. However, this change doesn’t come from extrinsic factors or influences from their partner. It seems to stem from a lifestyle that strikes their fancy, and that could strike at any given time. It’s the whole “Greener Grass” ideal, perhaps.

Interviewer: As a male, what do you seek in a partner?

Me: Faithfulness.

Interviewer: Care to expand on that?

Me: Er… extreme faithfulness? (leans forward with raised eyebrows)

Interviewer: Okay, I’m being directed to go to another member of the audience.

Me: Why? Am I being perceived as totally unstable? Am I going to say something defamatory, which could end up with the show getting into trouble? Just because I’ve been burnt, it doesn’t mean I’m totally irrational! I refuse to believe that my stupid ex can incite anger in me anymore! I’m totally over it! Totally!! (picks up chair)

Interviewer: Security!! Row B!

Me: (slaps forehead repeatedly) Ohayo gozaimasu*!


Of course, this isn’t exactly an accurate description of what would’ve happened. There is no way I’d use “willy-nilly” in everyday conversation.

But, in an effort to be somewhat serious, I agree with make-believe me in when he says that what women want is largely subjective. As for what men want in a partner… well, I’d just want a woman who is her own person. Has her own drive, and isn’t over reliant on me. Can do things of her volition, without incessant prompting by me. Oh, I’d like some respect, too… that’d be nice. Ooh, and fries… and a sock.

And yes, guys… sex is on that list, too. I am male, after all.

*Japanese for “Good morning”

9 files below

Blogger chica bonita said...

hahaha..this is definitely one of my favourite posts of yours.

i do think looks are important to a certain degree, first impressions are usually based on looks isn't it? hence, that brings me to the next point which is, a guy will most likely approach the attractive girl compared to the ugly one.

p/s: btw, can u actually speak japanese in a full sentence?

11:46 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Define: Full sentence. If I scrounge around the deepest recesses of my brain, I could probably remember things like, “I’ll be at work from 9.00am to 5.00pm.” and “How much is this?” and “Which way to the liquor store?” (an absolute necessity)… but all I can work out right now is “Watashi no Nihon-go… er… chiisai…”

You’re absolutely right regarding the whole looks thing. Yes, in all likelihood, men will beeline to the more attractive girl first (but “more attractive” is a subjective matter). But… it begs the question; would you honestly begin a relationship with someone you didn’t find physically attractive?

But I’m casting a broad generalisation here. I’m sure there are instances in where a personality has surpassed any… er… blemishes. Now that I’ve outted myself as a narrow-minded, shallow arsehole, I’ll shut up.

1:10 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

I love this post, and I’ve been slowly going through your archives. Your self interviewing techniques are brilliant, btw!

The “good sense of humour” always gets to me. I mean, what the…? Do I really want a wise guy (read smart arse) who can crack jokes and laugh all the times, or is it that I want him to find me funny haha? In any case, it’s shallow. Last thing I want when the going gets tough is a joker.

How about wanting love, sex, companionship, being each other’s best friends and my favourite, the ability to be yourself with the other person?

3:49 PM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

“Watashi no Nihon-go… er… chiisai…” <-- na ni ko rae?

and to answer your question, my boyfriend of 4 years wasn't exactly physically attractive. pfft.

6:53 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Chicky, I think that whole sense of humour thing is rubbish. A helluva lot of comedians are single... I think the question begin asked these people are, "What do you want in a partner who is rich, beautiful, has a nice arse, and drives a BMW?"... "a sense of humour". But I guess it is a superficial answer. I'd agree with the items you listed, too... but it could largely change depending on who I meet.

Sorry Chica, like I said, "My Japanese is... er... small". I think I'll get some coaching before I go OS. The question was more rhetorical, but thank you for shooting me down... :) But... something had to attract you to him in the first place... was it his "sense of humour"? :)

8:40 AM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

hmm..*thinks*

boyfriend has got crappy sense of humour. he laughs at his own jokes.

i think the criteria that tops my list would be respect. and my bf respects me. it helps as well that he is rich. i can afford a lot of stuff myself but it's always good to have someone else who is able to give me what i want.

something that attracted me to him in the first place? just being the person that i thought he was i supposed. he can tolerates my smoking back then. but the truth is, boyfriend was cunningly trying to get me to quit at the end. so yeah, it's never smooth-sailing. i'm just glad that we're miles apart now.

p/s: i'm sure your command in japanese language is just fine. i don't understand a single word to be honest. hehe.. when you gonna leave for OS(i presume it is osaka?)

11:18 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

So it was the "person you saw" that did it? Not superficially, but moreso what you see in this person, and what kind of person you believe they are? Hmm, sorry, I'm just stabbing in the dark a bit...

As for OS, well I have to sell my house first (auction this weekend), organise employment in Japan (teaching Engligh) and then getting my shit together.

I hope... maybe 6 to 9 months... but even that's not set in stone.

How did you know Osaka? Have I said something to that effect in this blog? I can't remember. Where are the cameras???

12:24 PM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

i think i understand what you're getting at. :-)

it's always good to get away somewhere for a while. a friend of mine is doing his last semester in canada under the uni's students exchange program. i wanna go too!*sniff*

2:04 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

*teaching English. Geez... I can't even type it, so how can I teach it?

Chicky, not much point going over the archives. It's full of crap. Actually... make that any post in here. :)

3:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home