Now contains nuts.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Just What Is Art?

Last night I went to the Tight Arse Tuesday gig at the Governor Hindmarsh Hotel (one of the best places for live gigs in Adelaide), in where I had been recruited by a friend to take some photos of her band playing.

Blow Up Betty is their name, and they’re a punk rock chick band thingo. Of course, the drummer is a good mate of mine, so I feel obliged to heap some superlatives onto them and then encourage you to buy their single when it comes out in July… if you’re a local. (end gratuitous plug)

Also, now that I’m writing an article on their performance for either the local rag, or for the local street press (ie low prestige unpaid stuff, but at least I can’t be accused of “selling out”), they are now technically a “client”. So, hooray for me. I’m expanding my clientele, despite the fact that I’m doing it for a friend… er… and for free...

So, I took a myriad of photos of the performance, and it turns out that I like the conventionally crappy photos more than the sharp ones. But I put that down to my bizarre taste and the use of crappy equipment.

But it does beg the question, just what is “good” art, and what is “bad” art?

For instance, ChickyBabe takes some great shots of landscapes and the like, with the kind of depth and sharpness that makes anything I do look stupid (I’m a writer, not a lover… oh wait, no, scratch that… photographer). But sometimes a certain effect can be… er… effective.

I mean, I like this one… I think it gives a good impression of movement, and retains the light well. But looks like I totally fucked it up.


The one I like... but looks crappy...


But this one is sharp, clear… and still looks like I totally fucked it up.


The one I don't like... but most people do...


Which only serves to prove that art is largely a subjective matter.

It recently came to my attention that the Adelaide Index is tracking my blog. It is a site that details what is on the mind of the local bloggers. It also provides a slight insight into just how many nutbags, tormented and intellectually superiors are in this town.

Now, if I can only get this particular entry to feature in their little sidebar thing, it could be classed as art… you know…

“This blog, comments on this site, which in turn comments on his blog. How avant-garde!”

Art is where you find it. Most are horrified at the appearance of a spider, whereas I have oftentimes found myself staring blankly at them, like that freak job in American Beauty. Their intricate construction, and the way their legs move perfectly when they scurry around their web is like beholding an unspoiled canvas... until you tread on them. And if you find that more appealing than a live spider, then I infer that you're more of a "Monet" person. Good for you.

No, I don’t like spiders. In fact I don’t rate them at all, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t find the art in them. Are the intricate movements of a spider so much more different than the rippling muscles of a lean cheetah in full flight?

That was rhetorical.

Oh, and if you want a photo of me, you can see it here.

6 files below

Blogger Kenneth said...

Bout the pictures : The first one is good, although u could have improved on the sharpness, but then u had crappy equipment as u say. The trick(if ur a novice)is first judgin the right height, and distance, before u can u could tamper with the colour, brightness, sharpness and contrast.
I don't like the second pic.

ART : Finding Art in "Un-Arty" places depends on ur mood, perspective and the amount of time u have to urself at that time. If Im in a good mood and have the time, i find a "moving-plastic bag" in the permonade, ARTY, Else i don't i dont give a fuck, to paintings by DA VINCI.
Ok i've spoken a lot!

1:42 PM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

you're right; art is completely subjective. the problem is when something visually unappealing has no redeeming factor whatsoever. too much of that crap gets a good name because some pretentious blowhard says so.

that is why i couldn't go through with art school. i thought i was going to strangle on all the profoundness. that and i thought i'd get addicted to drugs.

i like the first picture better, too. you could play with the shutter speed and try to move the camera a bit to get the sharp/blurry effect, but most masterpieces happen on accident.

do what makes you happy.

4:26 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

It's not bizarre taste. I like the first photo. It has colour, movement and has a dynamic feel which is good for a band. It's not easy taking photos of live bands, with the dark lighting etc and the flash kills it as it did with the second photo.

Thanks for the compliment about my pics. So I'm a writer AND a lover, hey? And I now remind you of someone...Interesting!

8:21 PM

 
Blogger jazz said...

wonder how many people clicked on that last link. i saw the idmb address and soooo knew what it was gonna be, you fool. ;)

i know so little about most art that i just never comment. i feel like i'm not even entitled to an opinion.

9:02 PM

 
Blogger X said...

I clicked the link.

I knew what it would be, but I just wanted to see what actor you'd equate yourself to.

Prinze.

Hah.

---X

5:59 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Thanks all

I never thought I'd fool anyone with that imdb link... but... i dunno... thought I'd tack it on for a bit of a lark. Didn't work.

Cadiz: the problem with art is that it makes people all pomp and self absorbed. Like we all care what their interpretation of whatever the fuckin' subject is...! :)

Lizzie, I find that most paintings out there are mostly wanky, but that's merely my opinion. Photography is where it's at, I think, as it can capture an exact moment, and (depending on the skill of the photographer) show a subject in it's purest form. Good to see you here, btw. :)

I think Black and White has a certain poignant effect. Besides, they hide the blemishes... :)

Chicky: Your photos are good. You know that. As for reminding me of someone, well there's the tone of your posts, but I might simply be associating you with this person as a means of putting a face behind the text...

Jasmine: I would've thought NY would've been full of culture and art. Sorry, that's just what I'm detecting on TV... that everyone is an artist, and they live in loft apartments in Manhattan... TV doesn't lie, does it?

X: I've been told I look like him. Frankly, that makes me sad...

8:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home