Now contains nuts.

Friday, April 22, 2005

(Feeling) is…

Well, this is going to be a bit different today. But this lapse is only happening once in a blue moon, so don’t go thinkin’ that I’m losing my edge. ‘Cos I’m not…! *stamps foot indignantly*

Solace is: having the interminable loneliness relieved by the tenancy of your ex-wife’s two cats.

Annoyance is: having to constantly clean up after these two cats.

Vexed is: needing to fetch these cats off the roof if you leave them outside for too long in the evening.

Perturbed is: trying to work the feeling back into your feet after being out in the cold for too long, fearing that your feet will fall off because you’ve been fetching cats off rooves.

Irked is: putting disinfectant on the scratches you receive from simply owning a cat. It’s a fact of life. Cat ownership = cuts and scratches.

Frustration is: putting the headphones of your iPod into your ears, only to find the one of the cats has chewed through the wire overnight.

Vehemence is: redirecting your feelings towards the person who placed the cats in your care in the first place.

Retribution is: conditioning the cats so that when she takes them back, they drive her up the wall.

Amusement is: feeding the cats on the kitchen bench, knowing that the ex-wife hates them on the bench. Now, whenever she feeds them, they’ll climb all over her bench.

Further amusement is: constantly giving the cats something out of the fridge, so that in future, whenever you open the fridge door, the cats go ape-poop.

Hysteria is: giving the cats the top shelf, expensive food all the time so that they refuse to eat the standard stuff. This part is true. Cat’s are finicky and these two will now refuse to eat anything under AU$2.50 per tin

Guilt is: knowing how immature and petty you’re being.

Validation is: knowing that she deserves it. Besides, this is harmless compared to what I could do.

As you can gather, I’m currently babysitting my ex-wife’s cats. I haven’t been much of a cat person in the past, but I like these two cats. They have “character” (don’t they all, ladies?). In fact, I like most animals, so to walk around my house kicking them because they’re in the way seems erroneous, and needlessly cruel to say the least.

Oh, and if that above list paints an unsanitary picture of some unshaven bachelor, strutting around his house in a singlet and boxer shorts with flies buzzing around his head, then you’d be wrong. Honest. Those are moths, not flies. And I can’t afford a singlet.

No, I jest. Really. I’m a clean person. Don’t look at me like that.

The upside of having these cats (there is one) is that I simply do not need television. Watching them both fly around the house whenever they’re in a crazy mood is far more amusing than watching someone’s insides getting punctured by a stiletto high heel shoe on CSI.


"Oi! C'mere! Look at me! Stop watching that TV!"
 

But more to the point of this post… (this is the only time I’m going to talk about this, okay?)

I’m sure that the above activities suggest that this author is a tad bitter, and some of you may be wondering about the mental stability of this jilted young man.

I guess now is the time that I outline that I’m not distraught over the separation with my wife. Frankly, as far as I can see, life has improved since that event. Friends look at me with some degree of scepticism when I inform them that I’m actually “quite over” my wife, which totally baffles me. “It’s only been three months!” they declare openly, as though the revelation would have Sherlock Holmes amazed at their brutal powers of deduction. But I guess it’s easy to be baffled when you’re in my shoes… which I was, the last time I checked.

What is so difficult to comprehend about it? I know that I was nothing but the most devoted, yet still respectful, husband, and yet she still turned her back on me. I have absolutely no doubt in my head that it had nothing to do with me, and all to do with her. This is not denial; it’s fact. She acted on what she wanted, and that’s what ended us.

I don’t need to devote myself to people like that.

It’s like building a sand castle, only to have it wash away with the tide. Over time, you’d surely get to a point where you’d have to give up on it. And that’s what I’ve done.

I’ve given up on her. I don’t feel sad about it, nor do I feel happy. There is nothing there. No love. No hate. Just an over arching sense of… “meh”. I have my life back, I am free, and I am accountable to only one person; myself.

Like I said, this is the only time I’m talking about this, because there are far better things to write about than an event that I feel largely indifferent about.

10 files below

Blogger Kenneth said...

Thats the best thing bout being single, ur not accontable to ne1.

Try feeding ur cats Kiwi fruit and beer.

Im not posting that much nowadays, cos my upcomin exams, will be more free in a months time.Will let u know wen new posts come up, really want writers like urself to comment on them.
BTW, i sent u a mail on ur gmail account.

Kenneth.

1:52 PM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

you know there are lots of way to deal with them. just 'accidentally' lose both of them. or throw them down from the 20-feet building. or feed them with dettol.

voila! targets terminated. problem solved.

i hate cats btw. i hate it even more when i have to pretend liking S' cat. *sigh*

5:37 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Cats
OK, this twin thing is getting out of control. He could have said the things you have written. He and his ex had a cat, and the stories I used to hear about that feline used to make me mad. She kept the cat, he used to visit, the cat! Until one day it disappeared…I like cats BTW, but hearing stories about how it used to wake them up in the morning did not turn me on one bit.

*****
“She acted on what she wanted, and that’s what ended us.”
But is that what YOU wanted?

Sorry if I’m out of line, as I don’t know the circumstances and I do not wish to offend. I just feel this open declaration of indifference warrants a response. It’s from your heart, and it makes me think there are feelings of numbness which have yet to be unleashed. Logic, facts and rational thoughts are all good, but it’s also normal to feel hurt.

7:34 PM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

i was rushing to go out just now and i focused a bit too much on the two cats.

moving on from there, i reckon it's normal for you to have the feeling you have right now. relationship is, and will always be complicated. at the end of the day, a bad experience makes you wiser isn't it? and i agree with chickybabe, it is normal to feel hurt.

8:24 PM

 
Blogger jazz said...

on cats: i fucking hate them. if i had an arch enemy (and maybe i do) it would be a cat, most certainly.

on the girl...i was never married but was in a 5 year relationship that we both took for granted would end in marriage. the last year was bad and when he finally ended it (i'm not a quitter, i thought we could make it work) i woke up the next morning and felt great. i kept waiting for it to hit me, for me to be upset about it, to miss him, and three years later it never happened. i feel "meh" about it to. so detached. it's strange isn't it? just letting you know, i feel EXACTLY the same way about my ex. i don't think you're repressing anything. i think its possible to move on in such a way.

12:10 AM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

those are all very good supportive reasons for my innate hatred of cats.

i got fed up with oneofmybestfriends for 10 years/boyfriendfornearlytwo when he couldn't stop catering to his ex at my expense. it was terrible b/c we already had kids' names picked out and everything, but he just couldn't catch up with whomever stole his balls and get them back. this was about 6 months ago.

my question to you is how do you *stay* over your ex? i thought i was all good until i started talking to someone else and then suddenly i was dreaming about lying around on the couch, cuddling with the ex. maybe it's a security thing, but obv. he didn't give me enough security to stay with him.

any tips?

10:35 AM

 
Blogger Kat said...

I have two dogs and a cat. The cat came recently.
And the phone chewing, ah, that´s so right.
Cats are a guilty pleasure, they distract you better than any tv show, but they can drive you insane, too.

5:20 AM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

Hey Andy,
Got that new post on. Check it out, if u get the time.

6:44 AM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

i will definitely keep that in mind, bag lady.

one of my friends rescued me from the maybe-he-really-wasn't-THAT-bad downward spiral by confessing that it was her idea when he had surprised me at work with flowers for my birthday. it had meant so much to me. she wouldn't normally have told me, but she didn't want me thinking he was all that great when he wasn't.

i should be good for about another 6 months, no?

still hate cats, though.

6:11 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Thanks all. The cats are only going to be with me until next month when she picks them up.

I can't isolate everyone's comments re ex right here (I'm going out in a half hour - K's place for drinks), so I'll address it generally.

Whilst I'm not a fan of airing dirty laundry over a public forum, I guess I do owe an explanation for an outburst like above.

She left me for someone else (a work colleague), despite my outlining that I wanted to work on it. She made it blantantly obvious that this guy was far more important than me, so that made it easier to detach.

Sure, I didn't want to break up, but looking back on the whole thing now, I realise that the relationship was abusive. After speaking to other people, I realise that I was nothing other than a supportive and devoted husband, and to have it spat in your face wakes you up that it's not worth worrying about. Why futiley bust your arse off for nothing?

Yes, I was hurt... I'm not saying that I've reached this position of "meh" instantaneously. But I can't wallow away forever, you know.

To stay "over", I've used the age old method of distracting myself, which is difficult when I'm living in the house we bought. But work, and social lives have been more than ample. DUring other times, I'm blogging about how life fucks me off ;) As for dealing with sub conscious triggers... well, I haven't had that problem yet.

It is still early days, though. I still speak with the ex constantly to sort out our belongings, and I've had no pangs of affection towards her.

I don't know how to outlet feelings of numbness. I guess knowing that I have plans to lay out to head overseas is a big helper in accepting a new life without the ex.

I might add to this when I'm not so rushed to get out the door.

6:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home