Now contains nuts.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Monument City

Apparently I have reached the age in where everyone around me has suddenly become a rampant capitalist, and each of them is looking to make the quick bucks.

Or, at least, the bucks that they believe are quick.

A few people have approached me concerning seminars in where you learn stuff that manipulates the system to better benefit yourself, “and it’s totally, like, legal!”

They prattle on about it as though it is some kind of secret knowledge that only the upper echelons of the Freemasons should know of its existence… but you don’t need to know any handshakes.

But, as far as I can tell, the stuff they tell you about you could figure out for yourself if you read the ATO site and investigated the tax system – therefore negating the need to pay some shyster $900 to attend his seminar.

Then you hear the words “recruit”. Oh yes, if you join up with this mob, you can then recruit other members who then earn money - of which you obtain a share.

Images of towering pyramids marked with Amway signs flash in my head.

Since I am starting up a new home-based business this year, I have been looking around various sources, trying to find out the many things people need to know when establishing a business. I went to a reputable careers website, and clicked on the “How to select a home based business” link, thinking that it might be helpful and provide some good tips.

What I found was some enthused writing about retiring early, and the benefits of setting yourself up so that assets go towards building wealth, rather than paying off debt etc. So far, nothing too bad. It’s the same advice I got after I paid a financial advisor when I sold my house last year.

However, it then proceeded to step into the realm of conjecture, citing books from “prominent businessmen” regarding the next “trillion dollar industry”. Consumers will be taking a proactive choice in their health, and they will be buying vitamins and supplements.

I researched the author of one book, and found links to Amway

I was then sent an email which stated that someone will be in touch with me to see whether I was “suitable” for their system. The word “Recruit” popped in my head.

Smelling a rat, I immediately replied, telling them to not contact me citing reasons of bubonic plague, ebola and being twice declared bankrupt. I have heard nothing since.

What’s more concerning is that I’m seeing more and more of these things crop up. I mean, I’m not an authority on these things (or anything really), and I eagerly watch those who have taken on this “method” of “employment” to see how they fare, but it just seems really, really shonky.

But I guess it was naïve of me to go to a careers website and expect to be given actual tips on starting up a business instead of being linked to pyramid schemes that are wily enough to find loopholes in the law.

I mean, what was I expecting? Information???? Tips????? Anecdotes from successful legitimate businesses??????

Christ. What was I thinking?

4 files below

Blogger Kenneth said...

They have a really nice way of packaging these things with a red ribbon on top

But seriously, Wat were u thinkin?

3:30 AM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Ah, that sounds so familiar! I had a colleague/borderline friend I knew over many years (and respected – note: past tense) who turned an Amway “recruiter”. Of course, they never tell you at the start, but the phone calls, the invitations to BBQs, the presentations, repeat the above and more, and the not taking no for an answer made me give him the flick. He did the same with everyone at work and lost many people in the process. And when he also tried it on me, he picked the “right moment” in my career when I was starting my business. I’m glad you’ve realised it early before getting drawn in.

The short answer is no. There isn’t much out there that’s helpful because most people are out for themselves. When you’re setting up a business etc, I’d only trust government sites for information and even there, you have to be selective when it comes to advice.

This is turning into a long comment. I’ll email you a suggestion I have.

9:57 AM

 
Blogger Steph said...

Some wanker is getting rich off these "recruitment" schemes. You can bet your arse, it isn't the people being recruited.

12:26 PM

 
Blogger reverendtimothy said...

So what's the moral of this story?

We should be starting our OWN get-rick-quick schemes and selling them online to other suckers. ;-)

In the words of TISM:
DEATH DEATH DEATH / AMWAY AMWAY AMWAY

12:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home