Now contains nuts.

Friday, June 16, 2006

The Other Beautiful Game

Whilst this may sound like I’m full of my own ego, I must say that I’m an inspirational person. I change people. I make them take courses of action that would normally scare them. I make them take huge leaps.

For instance:

My ex-girlfriend who found out that I was building a house with my then-wife: She insisted that she buy her own house by herself to prove to me that she was a better person than I.

The members of the club I am in: they have looked upon my trip to Japan with disdain, as they believe that someone who hasn’t trained as long as them shouldn’t go to Japan before them. So now, they’re going to Japan.

Boyfriends of my former sister-in-laws: They insisted that my getting a higher paid job than them was a result of effective schmoozing. Last time I checked, they were inspired and had applied for higher paying jobs.

My fellow classmates who discovered that I had been selected to try out for a state squad in a particular sport: They were inspired to take up the said sport so that they could get a higher state ranking than I.

Yes. I am an inspiration.

But note that these people weren’t inspired by my actions, per se. They were inspired by the fact that, as a result of my achieving something, that they had to do something that would make them better than me.

So, I’m not exactly an inspiration because people want to be like me. I’m an inspiration because people simply must be better than me.

They cannot simply watch me get something on my own… they have to surpass my effort. Because they’re better than me. It’s not that they’re aspiring to be better people… it’s spite: to show me just how mediocre and middle-of-the-road I truly am.

These kinds of people have been in my life for a very long time. Yes, they are nice to my face, and they thoroughly enjoy regaling me with their knowledge of such-n-such. However, it is once I begin getting proactive and doing things on my own that these people change.

Their attitude towards me changes. I hear them bitching behind my back. I hear them speaking of untold “rules” which should have prevented me from doing what I have done…

“You have to work for three years before getting that position”

“You must have trained for four years before studying in Japan”

“You have to be seven foot tall to try out for the state squad”

“You need to study to have articles published”

It is these unspoken rules that serve to remind me that life isn’t about doing what you want, however you want. It’s a game, played against other competitors, with an indeterminate finish and a tragic halftime show (normally involving convertibles and blonde girlfriends).

Those who do not follow the rules should be benched, and made an example of, emasculated, surpassed and then removed altogether.

The beautiful irony is… those who I’m inspiring… they don’t even realise I’m doing it. They probably wouldn’t believe it, either.

5 files below

Blogger ChickyBabe said...

I had “friends” like these at school, (no longer friends now), always competing and backstabbing, trying to outdo me in so many ways. It was just a competition to them and they ended up improving themselves for a little while, only to fall into a heap later. I ran into one recently…

There are people out there who revel in putting others down because it makes them look superior. Unfortunately, I’ve worked with many that fit that description. But I have no time for a so-called friendship with them. There are better people out there.

I agree with you in that we usually don’t know who is inspirational to us, or who we inspire. Unless of course, we come to the realisation one day, and decide to share it with them. And I find that thought inspirational…

3:04 PM

 
Blogger Steph said...

Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. By trying to be BETTER than you, they reveal their insecurity in the face of your success.

Take it as a compliment. They could never be better than you. Let them die trying.

9:31 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:00 AM

 
Blogger Chris said...

Buddy, it's cold in your shadow, but I have a warm coat and a full hip flask.

10:03 AM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

they sound like haters.

12:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home