Now contains nuts.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Sour Grapes Make a Crap Whine

Australia lost, people. Get over it. No amount of crying foul will change it.

As the vomit of Australian supporters’ ire spills onto the streets - reminiscent of many hours spent binge-drinking whilst following another bandwagon – after the controversial Italia win a couple mornings ago, I feel compelled to throw my hat into the ring.

So long as no one throws up in it. But I’m not a hat person. So I guess the analogy is redundant.

Soccer (herein referred to as Football) is a fickle game, a harsh mistress, a cruel dominatrix… and sometimes a fluffy lapdog that brings beer.

I have been trying to search for an independent opinion on the game, but everyone seems to be focused on that tackle. Regardless of whether it was a penalty or not, Australia still lost.

But I give Australian football supporters applause for at least being consistent with their sport as with every other aspect of life.

In the face of a little hardship, we don’t look ahead and search for ways to make the most of a bad situation. No, we have a fucking whinge about it.

Look. Even I’m doing it. Having a whinge at the whiners.

The streets are alive with the harmonious chorus of dozens of Waaaambulances.

However, as we are of a multicultural society, I am personally going to make the most of this situation.

Like many of my fellow Australians, I have a heritage that extends beyond our shores. And, like many of my fellow Australians, I am going to support the country of my family’s origin… even if it was my great-great-grandparents who hopped on a crate lid and paddled for this land.

Go England!!! Yay, Poms! Oi haf a flag ‘anging out th’ winda of me motor, t’ shoo me s’port for me country orf orrig’n.

Oh god… I delusional.

Read the fallout here.

6 files below

Blogger Chris said...

Jackt's right, Australia played consistently well throughout the tournament, far beyond even the players' expectations. And so to go out to a highly dubious penalty decision is all the more disappointing.

Australia's new football fans have now experienced first-hand the tragedies which accompany football, but must now stay on the bandwagon and support the A-League and the Socceroos' (though I'm hoping they'll drop the name) quest to qualify for 2010.

7:47 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Oh, I don't refute their quality of football. I can also understand the disappointment.

But its the constant whinging and the shitload of emails crying foul I cannot stand.

Football is a game like this. Get used to it. The highs come with lows.

10:12 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Gasp!!!!!!!!!!

Is Andy turning into a whingeing pom?? :P

Be still my beating heart!!

9:29 AM

 
Blogger jennifersando said...

Andy, I think you are being very reasonable. Hehe. PS, I have a soft spot for England, too. I'd rather that they win over Brazil, for example.

ANYWAY, it's getting hot in here!
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19625505-5004540,00.html

2:05 PM

 
Blogger Steph said...

My mum's a Pom, so i can jump on the In-ger-land bandwagon too.
Ere we gooo, ere we gooo, ere we goooooooooooooooooooooo!

2:11 PM

 
Blogger Doll Face said...

I'm a true blue football fan (like my contridiction???) I'm dissapointed at the loss but the socceroos did our nation proud. Here's to never being considered the underdog again. As far as the penalty is concerned, every team has had bad calls against them, its the nature of the game, if people are STILL moaning over it they were never a true supporter. My no.2 team (Czech Republic) was also eliminated by Italy, Italy is now my read hot rival! I'll go down my family tree. Go Germany!

On a postive note, no more sleepless nights :-)

3:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home