Now contains nuts.

Monday, May 01, 2006

The lesson

Did you ever stop to think that telling people that Japan is “so different” is actually quite stupid? “Hey, I went to another country! What was it like? Oh, TV had shown me that Japan had different looking people, different climates, different flora, different fauna, different food, different architecture, different customs, different language, different culture… and you know what? …it was really, really… different!”

I should really stop describing Japan like that.

Some have asked me if it has inspired me somewhat, and I have to say that it has.

But not solely in the whole “kick me up the arse and write my book” thing - although there has been plenty of that.

But I’ve taken a look at my life and realized the whole humdrum of it all and how I factor into this little slot of time I call life.

And again I feel so stupid for not realising this before, but there is more to life than gas-brake-honk-pay-bill-answer-phone-scrimp-savings-correct-spellchecker-for-putting-z-in-realizing-argh-there-it-goes-again-yell-at-idiots-on-phone-punch-wall-lay-on-desk-sobbing-give-up-on-humanity-pick-up-phone-again-wonder-why-I-did-that-because-I-had-just-given-up-on-humanity-and-why-oh-why-didn’t-I-learn-smack-forehead-catch-bus-go-home-sleep-have-nightmares-of-idiots-wake-up-screaming… gas-brake-honk.

I guess if I was to take anything away from the trip, it’s that there are opportunities everywhere to break out into. This idea of holing myself up in a building in order to maintain a lifestyle is self defeating.

Why can’t I have my lifestyle maintain my lifestyle?

I am on the verge of giving up my day job… after I get my long service leave, natch.

I am venturing out into the world of the unknown, cliché and all. This nine-to-five desk job is a one-way route to Noone-ville, Humdrumton, and MeLikeV8carsAh’yuck City.

I’m tired of this.

I should be working with what’s out there… not working to see what’s out there.

6 files below

Blogger Steph said...

That's pretty courageous. Good on ya Andy. I can't wait to see how it all pans out ;)

11:39 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Wow. Such angst in those words…

I admire your determination, Andy. I hope this new opportunity gives you the lifestyle you’re looking for :).

And I'm pleased to hear Japan has given you the kick you needed to finish your novel ;).

11:50 AM

 
Blogger geoff said...

I so don't like using cliches yet this sprang to mind straight away, "Can't see the forest because of the trees" Maybe I have travelled too much from US, Asia and Pacific Islands. And as soon as I did it I became a person who opened the door on the bus, stuck my foot out and dragged it to a stop. I was getting off the destination was not the one for me. Well done Andy you will have a great future.

1:39 PM

 
Blogger jennifersando said...

Hey Andy, look forward to hearing about your plans. If ever you start to see the dull lights of Humdrumton, come back and read your 'Lesson' entry again. ;-)

6:24 PM

 
Blogger reverendtimothy said...

"I should be working with what’s out there… not working to see what’s out there."

Best quote I've heard all week. :-D

... And so appropriate.

12:16 AM

 
Blogger Justine said...

Well said.

I think what really sucks is when you know to begin with there IS more than "gas-brake-honk" but... you're just kinda trapped.

4:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home