Now contains nuts.

Monday, February 13, 2006

The Asylum’s World of Hypocrisy

Welcome to the lovely phase of my life in where I stop and consider exactly why you cannot take some things to heart: because the world ain’t fucking fair.

If someone is cracking onto my partner by using flirty language and asking her if she’s been “into [him]”, I cannot request that he not speak with her like that because that makes me a jealous bastard.
If I am speaking to someone’s girlfriend about anything, I must stop… because I am obviously cracking onto them.

If someone else acts stupid, it is because they are behaving the “way they are”
If I act stupid, I must learn to grow up and control myself.

Speaking about sex is witty and humourous.
If I speak about sex, I am being vulgar and offensive.

No-one person is perfect, so I must keep that in mind and accept their quirks.
I am not perfect, therefore I must have my faults highlighted at every moment, and I must change myself.

I must tolerate being snubbed by those who don’t deem me worthy. That is the way they are.
I cannot snub people who hurt me, as being able to forgive makes me the “better person”.

If someone assumes that I am doing something untoward, I must apologise for giving them that impression.
If I assume someone is doing something untoward, I am being needlessly presumptuous, and must apologise for not giving people benefit of the doubt.

Everyone else is adventurous.
I am needlessly impulsive.

Everyone else is eloquent and intelligent.
I am verbose and condescending.

Everyone else is fine the way they are.
I need to improve myself.

Everyone else is frustrated at all the pressure they’re under.
I am an angry man.

People who have a less than favourable impression of me are entitled to their opinion, and I must ignore the way they spread fallacious rumours about me.
I am far too judgmental

I must learn to see other peoples’ points of view and listen to their expectations.
I cannot demand too much of others

I must respect my fellow humans
I must earn respect

I sometimes wonder if this is all worth it. Is the socializing and requirement for acceptance really worth all the heartache, judgment, sorrow, confrontation, jealousies, group regulations, and interpretations of these rules?

Because for all the happiness and good times I’ve shared with people, it seems that they’re fleeting moments. Like a butterfly that flutters by, it entrances you for a moment with its beauty, only to disappear from view with the reminder that the creature will die in a matter of days.

I simply feel exhausted at the idea of having to stand up for my convictions when no one seems to give a shit.

Perhaps everyone feels the way I do right now, but simply do not feel the need to vent it out there. Maybe I should learn to understand my lot in this life.

Right now, though? Well, I happy being pissed off. I think I’m entitled to it every now and then.

5 files below

Blogger ChickyBabe said...

I don't mean this to sound provocative when you're already "pissed off", but do you ever wonder why all these things happen to you? Is it the company you keep? My first reaction was to ask what is wrong with all those people? You don't sound like such a horrible person to deserve being treated this way! :)

3:04 PM

 
Blogger reverendtimothy said...

Have you ever read a book called "The Catcher in the Rye"?

Anyway. Hypocrisy is everywhere, especially when you're looking for it. But don’t let it get the better of you. We all have our days where it doesn’t seem worth it – but if you let it get you down, it gets the better of you.

9:24 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

CB: It's more a broad observation I make, spaced across various groups... rather than a specific section of people I hang around.

Auburn: I was wondering if everyone feels this way, and that it wasn't limited simply to me. Perhaps this happens to everyone, but I don't see it...

Rev: I think I've read it. Boy cries wolf... has a few laughs. I forget how it ends... Seriously, though I can see how this post is similar to the ramblings of Mr Caulfield. Yes... there could be a hint of hypocrisy in myself as well... as I don't know how people interpret my "criticisms"

1:46 PM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

I guess that's just a normal day for a 'normal' guy anywhere.....People dont have a 'mental outburst' anymore, simply becoz its too tiring and thers no point in it

P;S : Nice Post

5:47 AM

 
Blogger Steph said...

Excellent post. I know the feelings you expressed.

1:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home