Now contains nuts.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

An Oddity... (with no photos yet).

The photos are coming, honest! I’ve been showing them to all and sundry, though, and I still haven’t had the chance to show my folks yet.

Although I do have some Engrish ones on my PC here…

My flight to Japan was taken via Kuala Lumpur, so it involved a fair layover in the airport… a layover that was long enough to be arduous and tedious, yet not long enough to allow me a visitor pass to even garner a gander at a view of KL.

Needless to say, even before I boarded the flight to Tokyo, I was over the idea of traveling. I was grumpy, tired and fed up. I vowed that anyone who asserted to me that getting to the destination is “half the fun” would receive from me:

1 x Suitcase full of heroin

1 x Boarding pass for a flight to Malaysia

1000 x Doggie treats for sniffer dogs.

I landed at Narita airport at 7.05am. By the time the plane taxied to the terminal, it was 7.30am.

Having come from a small town like Adelaide, the idea that a plane spent so much time just rolling along the tarmac gave me the idea that the pilot was goofing off, and had decided to cruise along the main street of town, trying to pick up chicks.

But no. He was taking a dead straight line to the terminal. Fucking huge airport.

It was 35 degrees celcius when I left Adelaide. It was 1 whopping degree in Tokyo. I nearly passed out when I stepped outside.

The first week over there, I was studying in a little berg of Tokyo called Noda. I would liken the place to the outskirts of any major metropolitan centre in the world; urban, but not THAT urban.

It was busy. Not THAT busy though. People had good income, but not THAT good.

It was kinda like the Sydney suburb of Blacktown, but without the inbreeding. And much more condensed.

Let me put it this way: I’ve seen bike lanes in Adelaide that are wider than some of the two-way streets in Noda. On one particular street, the only thing I saw that prevented cars from toppling down an embankment and into someone’s house was a big wad of crisp Tokyo “air”.

But enough about that crap.

The idea that a group of Japanese schoolgirls haul you up in the street (yes, it’s a cliché, I know) with a chorus of “Hello, how are you?” is amusing and cute after the first twenty times. However, when their English is as good as my Japanese, the conversation that goes, “Hello-how-are-you?america?iie?oh-osutoraria! Kangaroo-Koala!Awwww-bye-preased-to-meet-you!” gets old quick.

Well, not that quick. It’s still kinda cute.

But being a unique oddity in a place like Noda does have perks. People are extra patient with you, and the fact that you can say “how do you do?”, can explain to them who you are, where you’re from, how old you are, along with the whole “being 6 foot tall” thing does seem to get you some brownie points.

Good thing I’m not blonde. I reckon that would’ve ruptured some vessel in their right frontal lobe.

But the people are curious about you. Not in a “Do I feed the animals in this zoo?” kinda way, either. It’s more like they’ve stumbled across an odd looking forest creature, and they tilt their head this way and that as they grasp with the idea that something a little left of centre has wandered into their lives for a short time.

However… to the guy who asked me which way to Dior and LV when I was in Harajuku, I have this to ask of you:

“Do I look like a fucking local?”

Perhaps a lone westerner in Japan isn’t perceived as a tourist...

10 files below

Blogger ChickyBabe said...

So you stayed in the equivalent of Blacktown, had school girls throw themselves at you, strangers were curious about the unusual creature who “wandered into their lives for a short time”, and you’re still teasing us with no photos? ;)

Next time I’m on a plane, I may ask the captain if I can check out the guys when he’s taxiing to the terminal... :P

Good to have the Andy-style humour back :)

2:07 PM

 
Blogger reverendtimothy said...

I don't think I'd ever get tired of a group of Japanese schoolgirls hauling me up in the street. ;-) Haha.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking about heading to Osaka in August for the SummerSonic festival. Any recommendations?

4:02 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Tim: Blonde hair. If you spike it, they will come...

Seriously, though... my Lonely Planet guide was invaluable.

Japan Rail Pass: I used the trains a LOT... especially the "Japan Rail" trains. Also the BUllet trains. The pass was $340 for 7 days though... (including shinkansen)

Lots of batteries for camera...

Get a direct flight... if you can...

Hows your nihon-go?

4:14 PM

 
Blogger X said...

1 x Suitcase full of heroin

1 x Boarding pass for a flight to Malaysia

1000 x Doggie treats for sniffer dogs.


HAHAHAHAHA!

---X

5:28 PM

 
Blogger Steph said...

I haven't been anywhere in Asia yet, but i like the feel i get after reading your posts. Keep em coming.

10:44 PM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

glad to have you back, andy! keep the travel stories coming! :-)

p.s: did you shop at all? i love tidbit from japan. they're always so yummy and always, always in great packaging that makes you feel like buying it for the sake of packaging.

1:06 PM

 
Blogger K said...

I wish I'd gone to Japan when I had the chance to go in high school. I don't think I have the confidence to go without people (teachers) planning everything out and protecting you (just yet) :)

4:24 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Still no photos yet??

3:24 PM

 
Blogger iluvnyc said...

traveling anywhere in the world is always fun when you're already at the destination... being stuck inside the plane for more than 3 hrs can drive people nuts

7:26 PM

 
Blogger jennifersando said...

“Hello-how-are-you?america?iie?oh-osutoraria! Kangaroo-Koala!Awwww-bye-preased-to-meet-you!”

Hehe--that's awesome. Say, Andy, did you try to highlight our current (and very stupid) tourism campaign and continuously yell out, "where the bloody hell are you?" :)

11:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home