Now contains nuts.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Immaterial consumerist

It’s kinda difficult to explain.

I seem to have gotten into a habit in where it feels alien, weird even, to spoil myself with a material possession.

I simply cannot see the wisdom in going out and buying that 40GB iPod, fancy jacket, SLR digital camera, the entire first season of Mythbusters on DVD or that jewel encrusted fishbowl containing a fish with a memory span of 31 seconds, instead of the standard 30.

(yes, I know that fish memory myth was busted on Mythbusters… but I’m using it anyway)

But this isn’t some anti-materialism stance I’m on. Hell, it’s not like I’m a money grubbing hoarder with myriads of shoe boxes of cash under his bed, protected by a pair of rabid Siamese fighting fish.

I have no qualms about going to an expensive restaurant and wining and dining away til the small hours and acting like a pompous, materialistic prat.

“Fetch me some wine, Garson. Tendey voo over here sivvoo play!”

I hadn’t bought a CD for nine months until a couple weeks ago, and even then it felt weird… like my money would be better spent on something else. Like a fish with 32 seconds memory.

Over the years that I spent saving for a house, buying a house, doing up a house, decorating a house with a water feature and goldfish, and selling a house, I simply forgot what it was like to shower myself with gifts.

Instead, I spent my money on things that couldn’t be traced back by my partner and then held against me as “wasting money”.

But now that I have a disposable income… fucked if I know how to use it. Forget buying CDs, DVDs, and clothes… there’s always the radio, cinema and old (perfectly good) clothes [which are out of date, but I’m too old to be fashionable anyway].

So, I simply must provide a warning to those people who are saving like Scrooge McDuck swimming in his money vault with an inflatable lifesaver ring whilst eating Lifesavers confectionary, just so they can buy a roof over their heads in Australia’s overpriced, overvalued, and overbaked property market…

… You’re getting into bad habits. Don’t forget how to spoil yourself. Don’t forget. You’re not a fish, after all.

8 files below

Blogger jennifersando said...

My hubby and I don't wine and dine enough... Also, I think "myriad" is one of your favourite words... ;-)

2:22 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Among the myriad of words I could use... it would be one of my favourite... :)

2:31 PM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

i always spoil myself.

simply because there is no one out there who knows how to spoil me except perhaps my sisters. no, buying dinners and movies are not spoiling me.

2:56 PM

 
Blogger Steph said...

I spoil myself and i don't feel one little smidge of guilt. I work long hours for my money, my bills are paid on time and i deserve treats dammit!!!

;)

7:45 PM

 
Blogger Kaufman said...

I'm also part of the house owners' fraternity and am bloody grateful to have had the opportunity to purchase when it arose.

I share your plight in wondering how to occasionally indulge in life's little materialistic pleasures, although I've found slight relief of this and of my earnings through the acquisition of clothes; no brand names freshly delivered from third world countries to the rack, mind you, as they're as wasted on me as a an Armani suit is on a fish, just loads and loads of second-hand stuff.

You see, finding ways of maintaining an acceptible level of sanity in a rural region often comes at a price, even when the dough maintains its flow.

If there were remotely places to go to, I'd go. But there aren't. And I'm far too old to invest my money, time and interest in a PS2 or one in a myriad of the latest giant screen TVs, which will fry the second I plug it into an Australian power source.

BTW, is Japan still on the cards for you?

2:27 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Chica: I guess its always the case of if you want something done right, do it yourself :)

ddc: We can only swap if I can have my powers back when you're done with them.

Steph: I can identify with that philosophy, but I guess I just don't get the thrill like I used to.

Andy K: Japan is still on the cards. I leave for Tokyo next month for a two week sojourn around whatever I can find. After that trip, I start making plans towards the big move... pending my opinion of the place.

3:25 PM

 
Blogger reverendtimothy said...

Andy K hit the nail on the head.

If you're looking for a way to spend your money, simply go travelling. You'll find yourself spending money with nothing to show for it. That way, you can't have any guilty feelings such as, "Why the hell did I just buy the complete series of Gilmore Girls on DVD?!" because all the money has disappeared on intangible things.

I am now the proud owner of $20 worth of total wealth - soon to be about $10 once I buy a multitrip to get home. That's what travelling does to one's savings. I'm sure you'll realise this in Tokyo. ;-)

3:41 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Rev: you'll find that a lot of people value experiences more than materials anyway.

Experiences can be regaled at length for ages, and there's always something you forgot to tell people...

Whereas materials are a conversation topic once or twice before they become a part of your "normal" life.

4:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home