Now contains nuts.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Insight

I’ve been asked to comment on a topic being aired by SBS’s Insight program. The topic is regarding sexual politics and the opinions voiced in Maureen Dowd’s book, Are Men Necessary? When sexes collide.

The last time I was asked to comment on this show’s topic, I was interviewed, prepared for the show… and then ignored. I don’t think I’ll comment this time around, because I know the topic isn’t worth arguing over.

The genders currently are unequal, apparently. As to which way the scales lean is dependent on your experiences, and possibly on if something dangles between your pegs eleven.

From what I’ve read, there are assertions made that women are being made to look like Jessica Simpson to land a man, and that intelligent women intimidate men… and therefore end up lonely.

The excerpts continue so far as to claim that the Y chromosome has been shedding itself of DNA, like how a Hollywood celebrity sheds themselves of reality, eventually stating that with the current rate of technological development that men won’t be required for reproduction.

Men will become instinct.

But lets not go too nuts (haw haw), shall we? Although a planet populated entirely of lesbians is something that many a male probably dreams about, lets point out a couple things.

If men aren’t that important… then why raise the point about how women try to be like Jessica Simpson to land one? Men are doomed to extinction, so why bother raising the point?

The question is posed about who is to blame for the apparent failure of the feminine movement, and yet I cannot help but think that answering that with a gender is erroneous. Well… to my DNA deficient, low life expectant, cannot ask for directions psyche it is.

Because it is usually the most beautiful women that are applauded by BOTH genders. I find it hard to believe that people would model themselves on someone who is intelligent if they have the face that looks like a run over rubbish bin.

You know… like Margaret Thatcher. In fact, I believed she did a stint with a run over rubbish bin on her head to make her more appealing to the public.

So, if I had my say (which I won’t), I would state that society, both genders, the media and our stupid fucking brains that like beautiful people is to blame.

And… if there were no men left, jars couldn’t be opened, rubbish wouldn’t be moved, lawns would rage out of control, and spiders would rule the planet.

If you would like a copy of the email I received from SBS, feel free to email me. They are seeking participants in the discussion.

But if I see anyone rip off my opinion…

(this post is mostly tongue-in-cheek - I love women. I do)

8 files below

Blogger chica bonita said...

i know you love us, andy. :-)

back to the topic, is there a point to bring up such topic to begin with? i wouldn't waste my time too. i'd rather go shopping.

10:30 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

I'm with you, Andy. It seems like an unnecessary and vapid discussion. I can't say I'm intimidated by intelligent women, either. (I've rarely had the opportunity.)

However, I have found myself making surreptitious steps towards the door when confronted by an intellectual type clutching something by Doestovsky and sporting an intense expression which screams, "Acknowledge my mind you mysoginistic fucker!" when "hello" would've seemed more appropriate.

3:30 AM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Beautiful women are applauded by both genders because they are applauded and objectified by men first. If the male gender was to go for the intelligent (which many men find intimidating) and unattractive types, we would not be spending time and money to look like Jessica Simpson, but we would all become scholarly types.

I find the media’s hype about the demise of the male gender, especially in relation to reproduction to be appalling. This kind of journalism will not serve to bring equality to the sexes. True, we will always need jars to be opened, roaches to be swatted and chores to be done, (albeit after much nagging) but what of love, companionship, and sharing with someone who complements your life?

Equality begins with changing men’s opinions about women for a start and the demise of gender stereotypes, not by suggesting that men are not required. But having said that, and I will probably be shot for some by saying this, a lot of women do not help towards the gender equality either.

Good post, Andy :). And a great discussion. I don’t blame you for not attending; I have an idea how these programs are likely to be driven.

PS. Chris, love your comment!

8:58 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

ddc: Yeah, I hardly think that pandering to this whole topic is going to make any decent inroads. Better leave it alone.

Chica: I agree that there are much more worthy pastimes to occupy ourselves with than talking about this. Whilst shopping is akin to hell for me, I won’t begrudge you that. :)

Chris: Oh I remember her. After you backed out the door, she harangued me for hours on some subject I couldn’t take her seriously on. The vein on her forehead was a distraction.

CB: If women followed a cause because men applaud first, then I hardly believe that men should be held accountable for the rising in popularity of said cause. I thought women were independently minded…

However, I don’t think women are entirely innocent of not leaning towards a certain type as well (and I speak generally). I mean, if women actually did prefer and select the sensitive, caring and respectful male instead of the insensitive, callous yet still rich and handsome male, then maybe there would be MORE men who applaud intelligence. For men, there is no incentive to be sensitive, caring and respectful of intelligence when they can land the woman they want (quite easily in some cases) without exhibiting those traits.

11:43 AM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Women vie and compete for male attention, so we are going to be influenced by what men admire and seek, be it in social surroundings or what the media “educates”. Look at fashion trends that put beauty before comfort.

In the generalisation you make, it is dependent on what they seek at the time: a life partner or someone to have fun with. In the latter, the alpha male is going to win. And he will land the woman he wants easily as you state. But his callousness and disrespect is not going to attract the intelligent types who will see through his bravado and those seeking a longer term relationship. One can only put up with his callousness for so long. You ask for incentives for the male to be sensitive, caring and admiring intelligence, I’ll give you one: respect.

1:02 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Are you saying that womens fashion sense is largely dictated by the idea that "guys like this"?

Call me stubborn, but I refuse to believe it.

Respect is nice, but anyone can earn it. I fail to believe that a caring geeky man will be selected over the confident guy with the pecs.

I didn't want to be drawn in on the subject, but it appears that I have.

Basically, I refuse to believe that if feminism failed that it was at the hands of males. Everyone had a hand in it.

2:38 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

It appears I misunderstood the point of this post. So I shall say no more.

3:17 PM

 
Blogger Steph said...

Gah! I just had a massive feminista rant on my blog. It's all so freaking complex. I call myself a feminist yet i love all things girlie. I want to be respected and but still revered for my womanly ways.The lines are getting blurred.

3:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home