Now contains nuts.

Friday, April 21, 2006

How to not impress Japanese schoolgirls.

I have spoken briefly about the gaffes that Japanese make when trying to decipher the plethora of clicks and whistles we call the English language, but now it is time to change tack.

Yes, that’s right. I made quite a couple social faux pas… faux pi… er… many fuck ups whilst “trabberring” (traveling) around Japan.

And it extended beyond the “Not handing stuff over with two hands” or “giving money directly to the cashier instead of in their little tray next to the till” thing. Although, there was plenty of that.

I was walking down the main street of Noda, and I was stopped briefly by a group of school girls, all chorusing “Hello! How are you?!”

Naturally, I stopped, smiled and politely replied in English… as they were obviously keen to try out theirs.

Any questions they didn’t understand the reply to, I would do my best to tell them in Japanese.

I heard one remark something along the lines of a surprised “Oh… he speaks Japanese!”

I turned to her, smiled and used the hand gesture of my pointer finger being close to my thumb to indicate that I knew “a little” Japanese.

She looked at me confusedly. She even leant a little backwards, and she mimicked my hand gesture as though it meant something. She stammered a couple lines about needing to leave, and we all exchanged goodbyes and walked off.

I thought the last exchange rather curious, but didn’t think about it too much.

It wasn’t until I returned to my apartment that I remembered reading that using the hand signal of finger to thumb in a similar way to an “a-okay” sign is actually a Japanese method of asking “How much?”

So… I think I had just asked a fifteen year old (approx) school girl “HOW FUCKING MUCH!!?!?!!?!!!?!!!!!”

How. Fucking. Much…?

I think I would’ve caused less offense if I had asked her if all prostitutes wear school uniforms.

Recalling that story always makes me die a little inside.

11 files below

Blogger reverendtimothy said...

Hahahaha. I'll keep that in mind. You never know when it will come in handy.

HEY... I'm going to the Sushi Train later this arvo for lunch. Maybe I'll try it out then. :-P

I love stories like that. Haha.

12:25 PM

 
Blogger zzymurgy said...

that's so tragic...

the word 'chotto' can be very handy, andy.

12:35 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

I'll have to remember that, zzymurgy... although I did use "nihon-go sukoshi" a bit...

2:44 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

HAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAAA. Ohh, that's gold.

9:18 AM

 
Blogger Steph said...

That is comedy GOLD! Bahahahaha! You were like the male version of me, sooo something i would do. Offending total strangers is my forte.

11:15 AM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Way to impress schoolgirls, Andy! You've always wanted her to remember you, didn't you? ;)

4:52 PM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

oh man, that's pretty bad. but funny. very funny.

5:10 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

dan/nathan

I can heartily recommend picking up a lonely planet guide to Japan - or in my case, Tokyo.. as I didn't go too far beyond there.

Shame. I wanted to see kyoto. Oh well.. next time.

Do NOT have steak. 3500 yen, for a 300g steak... which is about $40 AU. ALthough out in the burbs, you can get a hearty meal for 700 yen.

Depending on how long you stay and where you're heading, I do recommend the JR Rail Pass (google it) as it makes getting around very easy... as long as you stick to the JR lines. I got a week pass, and it was AU$340. It gets you on the bullet train, which was worth the novelty.

I had cheap accommodation for the second week in Akasaka. It came to AU$800, and included breakfast. Flight was AU$1200 from adelaide, and required a layover in KL airport. It was tedious as all hell, so I don't recommend flying alone like I did.

There is the genuine Sunflowers painting if you look around SHinjuku... in one of the buildings. The name escapes me now.

The worlds biggest pendulum clock on the NS skyscraper in Shinjuku.

... basically... get the lonely planet guide, and read it three times before going. :)

OH... and "Nihon-go sukoshi". It means that you don't have a great grasp of the language. It saves you from making seemingly innocent, but contextually vulgar hand gestures...

10:13 PM

 
Blogger Justine said...

Oh... brutal!

4:22 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

DAn/Nathan: I think what you've been using is better than what i was using...

I basically pieced together what people were saying by understanding keywords, and then either saying yes or no...

The steak is fatty though...

10:24 PM

 
Blogger Anastasia said...

Hehehe. This post of yours made me GRINNED big time. :)

Thank you. :)

You're funny.

Lin

2:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home