Now contains nuts.

Monday, May 30, 2005

Karma is a Drain

Anyone who has received an email from me has probably noticed that my signature contains a certain cynical phrase that was borne from my mind during a phase of extreme cynicism.

“Karma is a fusion of serendipity and either malicious or generous individuals”

Despite that phrase’s awkward… phrasing… it does represent a very venomous mood, after hearing about certain people’s (apparent) success. And it shat me to tears.

It seemed that Karma only really applied to me for a little while there. I mean, I seemed to have things revisit me in some bastardised version of poetic justice, whereas most people I saw actively screwing other people around, spreading malicious lies and basically being proud of their bitchiness seemed to land rich partners, good jobs and… I dunno… mind blowing sex, perhaps.

Hey, knowing my luck, that’s probably the case. The cosmos seems to like mocking me.

Karma – and people’s understanding of Karma – came to the forefront of people’s minds by some Alicia Keys single in where she drivelled out the hackneyed “what goes around comes around”.

Yes… that’s Karma, but my understanding of it is a little different.

Also, I’m sure I heard Alicia thanking God (in the Christian sense) in some speech at some music award soiree in where they celebrate mediocrity. I’m not Professor Karma, nor am I Reverend Christian, but I’m sure that Christianity doesn’t preach the existence of Karma. Bah… that’s outside the scope of what I’m saying today.

Karma, to me, also represents everyday facets of life in that everyday behaviour can sorta cycle and drag you down.

Guilty little pleasures can become addictive, but have extreme repercussions. You might not do the dishes one night, you might leave your clothes on the floor, you might drink milk out the carton, you might even… dare I say it, post to your blog from work, and check personal emails from work.

Yes, people… I’m guilty as charged.

To constantly give in to these little diversions is like a spiral of water, circling the drain, forever trapped in a descending continual loop. You continue to revel in that guilty little pleasure.

Things around you begin to suffer. You lose focus.

And I can tell you; it ain’t easy to break out of the spiral. I'd recommend to everyone that they don't enter the spiral... it will suck you in to the point you can't return.

To me, that is Karma… as well as the whole “Treat others well, because they’ll treat you well also… and don’t be an arsehole, because you’ll get a snot on the nose eventually” method of thinking.

Especially if you’re me… Like I am.

Karma visits me regularly. We do lunch. I’ll tell him you said “Hi”.

4 files below

Blogger Kaufman said...

Great call regarding Alicia Keys [whoever that is] and the hypocrisy that seems to be flagrant, obvious and flagrantly obvious within showbiz. Perhaps mixing business and religion results in conflicting sex or at least turbulent times under the sheets. Karma is just one of those things that's difficult to pinpoint as far as one's personal definition is concerned [momentarily ignoring the real book of meaning; Mr/Ms Dictionary]. Is it for real or do the bastards among us really rule the roost, no matter what's on karma's agenda ? From taking a look around my world, I favour the latter explanation, though I won't subject myself or those I love by lowering my standards or treatment of others because everyone else is.

Great post. I'll ask karma about you next time we do lunch. Maybe I can convince her to send a few good deeds your way for a change.

8:43 AM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

i'm with you guys on karma's gender. why else would the phrase be 'karma's a bitch'?

and andy, giving in to those little diversions is what keeps a person sane. the way i look at it, you're keeping yourself well; what's wrong with that?

the shit comes back to the rumor-spreaders, homewreckers, thieves, cheats and people who like to see others brought down.

isn't there something in the bible that says 'do unto others as you would want done to you?' maybe that's a nonreincarnation version of karma (in a general sense).

3:59 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

BT351, I'd be inclined to sit on the latter explanation as well, but like you, I don't alter my attitudes to other people accordingly. However, having said that, I do believe in Karma (and it's various different names), but not merely in the whole "you'll get what's coming to ya" way.

gossy, my karma is male... I don't know why. Maybe it's a subconscious cue to the torment I received from other alpha males as a child... *rocks in foetal position*

cadiz, to continuously indulge in these things is where the problem starts. Dishes pile up and corrode. Clothes get lost or impossibly dusty. Check email from work becomes addictive to the point that it's a distraction... etc...

I'm sure that most religions have their own version of Karma... but I won't get down to semantics. :) This isn't the place for religion chat... :)

4:47 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

I don’t believe in Karma. I believe in taking control of my destiny, in as much as I possibly can. And guilty little pleasures cease to be pleasures when they’ve become addictive.

6:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home