Now contains nuts.

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Confessions of a Stat Virgin

I have done something stupid. Yes, that’s right, li’l ol’ me has gone and obtained one of these statcounter things. I don’t have it displayed on the face of this blog, as I think they’re unsightly, and they mock you when they haven’t clicked over to the next number.

So why did I get it? Well, I was curious to know what people searched for when they find my blog. However, it hasn’t been up for very long, so I don’t know, yet… although the one person asking about Big Brother Uncut is definitely looking in the wrong place.

But since starting the thing up a couple days ago, I have noticed how many hits I get, how many are unique and how many people return.

Things that usually are a benchmark for a site’s success.

However, as I’m relatively new to this site stat thingy, this little marvel of technology has planted a seed of paranoia. You know, these people keep returning to my blog, and if I have nothing new for them, I immediately feel guilty… as though I’ve let them down due to my not meeting a daily deadline enforced by my conscience.

Yes, it’s stupid. I don’t need any of you to point that out to me. But I appreciate your steadfast approach to analysing my character. Please fuck off now.

This kind of constant self berating cannot be healthy, though. This statcounter thing must be the tool of Beelzebub, or some other demon that represents the evil side of the moral spectrum. First it tempts you with informing you of your readership’s interests and what part of your site they find most interesting, but after a while you begin to wonder.

F’rinstance, if one blog post got more hits than another… you wonder what you did wrong in that other post. Why was this one post loved more than another? Why dost thou hate it? Why?

And the turmoil goes on.

Each day you try to better yourself, by writing something just that little more insightful, more humorous, or more wacky. Your mind trials over nifty little analogies that you could somehow incorporate into your next post, like a miner chiselling away on a slab of granite.

Never once does it dawn on you that nobody actually cares how good your post is. They just like reading your site.

Of course, if you take slabs of this post and interchange the words “You”, “Your”, and “Yourself” with “I”, “Me” and “my”, you get the point of my post.

In actuality, I had targeted one particular person who reads my blog with this post. They know who they are.

9 files below

Blogger chica bonita said...

nah, i reckon you're alrite there.

on another note, the stat thingie is...ugh...

a boyfriend snatcher.

ex boyfriend has got about 2000 visitors daily on his blog and boy, his pride just swell like nothing. i got annoyed he spent too much time in front of the computer checking on the hits.

2:33 PM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

The counter thing doesn't really help matters, it justs tells you that "they" have come back 6 times and are still seeing the same thing, (i don't post more than one per week), and makes u think u have to hurry up. Fuck it, nobody cares actually, readin blogs is done wen u have time to kill and some coffee in ur hands and probably sumthin to eat

4:43 PM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

The counter thing doesn't really help matters, it justs tells you that "they" have come back 6 times and are still seeing the same thing, (i don't post more than one per week), and makes u think u have to hurry up. Fuck it, nobody cares actually, readin blogs is done wen u have time to kill and some coffee in ur hands and probably sumthin to eat

4:43 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Dear Stat Virgin

First, let me inform you that a statcounter is highly addictive. You can log into your account and watch the visitors come by, one by one, as they load each page.

It is also a highly disturbing tool for an over analytical person, if you happen to be the type. Attempts to better yourself with each post will lead to “moments” of despair.

The true sign of insanity is posting your keyword stats. That will lead to more hits, for the wrong keywords.

Yours sincerely
An Expert Stat Virgin

7:30 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Chica: i wouldn't want that popularity. It'd drive me nuts.

Kenneth: I know. Blogs just kill time for me when I'm bored at work.

Lizzie: Er... what the hell? I've only read your blog for a short amount of time, but I've never seen anything which vaguely hints that. Google is weirder than your readership, it seems...

CB: Oh I know... don't I know it.

8:26 PM

 
Blogger Sherri said...

Okay....I feel like a big loser. I am absolutely addicted to my stat counter. I check it multiple times a day.

I also stress over what to write and will my friends think its funny and how many people will comment.

This is so sad.

I guess I'll just have to go drown my sorrows in several beers. Darn.

9:24 PM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

Yep. Someone came to my blog by searching "what does moles above eyebrow mean" in Yahoo.

What suddenly inspired you to get a counter?

9:28 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Sherri: You've caught my condition, which I have dubbed Blog-itis. People should donate money.

Jen: I don't know why I got it. I was curious, maybe. I also wanted to do a post on what people searched to find my blog. It turns out that I only get "Big Brother Uncut", "being a counsellor" and... er... "first time be gentle shirt". It must be a novelty shirt.

8:43 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I originally got a stat counter out of pride I suppose, as blogging was new to me and I wanted to see how many visitors I got. I recently switched counters because I wanted to track where people were coming from, what they'd searched for, etc. For me, it's now turned to curiosity.

Although, recently I've been getting blocked or hidden referrers, thus negating my reasons for a stat counter. Bastards.

9:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home