Now contains nuts.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The Walls Reply Strange

The furniture that doesn’t belong to me has finally been removed from my humble abode. Hence, making it a great deal more humble.

It is truly amazing how furniture can make a great deal of difference to the overall “vibe” of a house. Whereas before, the place exuded a kind of cosiness that embraced you like a fresh, heavy blanket, but now it feels seemingly indifferent towards me, with my footsteps being the only reply to my empty trudge through the halls.

We “built” this house together, but I am not lamenting the loss of my partner.

And when I say, “built”, I really mean, “paid through the nose, mouth and other such orifices for a licensed builder to construct it”. But I digress.

I visited that place every night during its construction, just to see how it had changed. How it was “growing up”. How it was shaping up to be the home we wanted it to be.

This house became a part of me, a shard of my being if you will. I fondly remember awakening at the crack of dawn so that I may put insulation in the framework just before the builders whacked up the wall panels.

I remember racing down to the site to inspect the new air-conditioning unit and ensuring the ducts were placed in the right area.

To live in the house felt blissful, as the walls warmly greeted you each morning, shielding you from the elements. The tin roof sang to you the tune of a million water droplets.

A nice morning brew was the antidote for ushering out the crisp, wintry morning air and cold wooden floors.

The place had so much potential, both physically and fiscally. To have sold it now, after living in it for a mere two years is not unlike snuffing out a candle before it has burned to a nub.

And now the place feels cold, steely and monochromatic. The echo of all noises whispers back like the frustrated curses of a powerless ghost relative who cannot offer you solace.

Like a lost loved one, the departure of one so cherished, having to leave this house deadens the soul, guts your heart and plays with your head. The overwhelming sense that you may never find a real home like the one you laboured over for a couple years is disheartening. The subsequent lingering memory of my abode is draining to black and white.

Show me another home, another soul… and I will colour it in.

8 files below

Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Such beautiful and poignant words. I can feel your emotions, your pain. And so eloquently presented. One of your best, Andy. But this isn't about a brilliant piece of writing, it's your soul shining through like a beacon. And it's very touching.

8:01 PM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

On the upside, Kimi Raikkonen drove a fabulous Monaco Grand Prix

P.S - You do know you a fabulous way with words don't u? i alone must have told you that around 6898 times, give and take a few.

8:19 PM

 
Blogger Sherri said...

Oh my gosh, Andy! That was beautiful. I can totally relate having to move every two years (due to husband being in the military). I sometimes feel that I am losing something when I leave a house that I know had great potential. However, I know that my loss in those instances is nothing compared to what you are feeling right now. I was touched.

9:22 PM

 
Blogger jazz said...

are you leaving the house? do you have to? it seems you love this place for what it is. not for who you were with when it was being built...

12:19 AM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

i'm speechless...

*hugs*

12:40 AM

 
Blogger X said...

Excuse me if I've told you this before, Andy: you're an awesome writer.

*stands back in awe*

---X

5:46 AM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

i'm so sorry, andy. that was very touching. is there no way you can keep the house and shape it into something more *you*?

6:25 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support.

Unfortunately I am unable to keep this house as I simply cannot make the repayments on a single income, even if I were to get more writing work.

Besides, I want to travel for an extended period of time and I don't want to worry about the house whilst I'm gone.

I love this place, which is funny as I usually don't form attachments to objects. It's not the memories here, or the capital gain I stand to make through keeping it.

The best way I can explain it is that - like the child analogy I used before - I felt "responsible" for it, and I poured myself into it. It's strange but the house seemed to respond accordingly. I can't explain it any better than that.

But now the house is sold, and I cannot stay here after the 9th of June. That's when the new owners move in.

And Kimi drove a great race, but all we hear about here is that Webber came third...

8:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home