Now contains nuts.

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Trance Writing

Well, this didn’t take very long. I had said in the past that I was going to lay off analysing blog, because frankly, it’s silly. I mean, why question the medium? It’s like a radio announcer asking why the medium is still popular despite the lack of pictures.

The answer is: Because we can’t see your ugly mug, Kyle Sandilands… (non-Australians won’t know who I’m talking about… but he’s a radio fuckwit).

The previous post on this blog was knocked up in a period of ten minutes, would you believe.

I was struck by a small piece of inspiration and banged out a few lines, and one thing led to another. It was a bewildering state of creativity, even though it never taxed my mind one iota.

I never stopped to contemplate the better word to use, or what would sound funnier. It was an odd time, made even the more odd with my ex-wife shuffling back and forth whilst typing it.

Ugh, that could be construed that my ex is some form of Muse, but that thought makes me ill.

Associating my ex with the best band in the world today (ie Muse) is blasphemous.

Whilst typing it though, I felt as though I was mashing the keyboard of my laptop with a giant club and that the words that vomited out were primitive and ill-defined.

But somehow, the message and the emotions still got across with relative ease.

The egotist in me says that it’s my talent. The innate thinker in me pays tribute to the sharp perception of the people who read this blog. The broad minded part of me is reassured that the English language isn’t as butchered as I initially thought it was.

Whenever I’m writing for a client, I often give myself a 45 minute deadline. If I cannot finish the article in that timeframe, I discard the piece and start again about an hour later. If it takes longer than 45 minutes, then I’m thinking too hard about it and the piece will come out as forced, and amateurish.

I think I’m beginning to have a lot more respect for novelists and authors. I never used to “get” how hard the occupation was, I’m sad to admit.

But I guess this is the whole part about “learning” and “maturing”.

Damn this life. I’m constantly learning that I am often wrong.

2 files below

Blogger Kenneth said...

Ya i guess when you stop thinking and allow the "flow" to do the talking, u just follow your instincts without worrying bout how things would pan out.....and more often than not they pan out just fine

4:12 AM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Listen to the egotist in you. He is right. Because it's through that talent we develop that sharp perception.

Just go with the flow of your inspiration. And remember that notebook...

9:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home