Now contains nuts.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Being Crafty

Recently, I have been humbled by some of the compliments I receive to my writing ability.

No, I am not going to harp on about it to get more compliments, nor am I going to spout out some false modesty. Equally, I will not display some bigheaded bravado.

I’m good at it, and I can admit that hopefully without swelling the head, or coming across as some arrogant prick.

Last night, I scanned over some pieces that I had published some time ago, and I cringed. Even staring at some of my earliest posts on this blog, I stop and wonder how the hell I managed to etch that rubbish out into words, and inflict it upon the innocent blog-o-sphere.

But back then, I thought I was good too.

In about six months time, I anticipate reading over this very entry and wondering what the fuck I was thinking.

There was an issue of Time magazine in about October 2004 that had a full page spread on the blogging phenomenon, and how it could possibly change the face of the print media.

Kinda ironic, coming from one of the most prominent print publications in the world today.

But as romantic and as blissfully hopeful that thought was, I hardly believe that to be true, as blogging will not garner the same credibility in the mass populace as print. Mainly because any schmuck with a keyboard and a phone line can easily and cheaply disgorge out some lines of speculative, groundless horse-shit.

Whereas with print media, you just need to be a talented writer with an interesting quirk to your style (read: be a persistent little shit with editors).

It’s up to the editors to eke out the “talent” from the scrawled.

But the article did raise a couple good points. Writing, and even to a degree journalism, simply cannot be taught in a school. Writing is a craft; something that you develop over the space of time, learning through your mistakes, and harnessing the power of the ever-useful Thesaurus when you’re stuck on a word.

Hell, it’s what most writers who portray some “intelligent” persona do.

Because, I refuse to believe that one person is more talented at writing than another. The only real difference is people who have spent more time writing than others.

… Or… ahem… "I cease to comprehend that certain members of the populace are substantially additionally inscriptively endowed. The sole dissimilarity is that certain strains of individuals occupy their existence with prose furthermore than… others…"

Damn.

6 files below

Blogger Kaufman said...

I just wanted to say that I'm the first person to comment on this post. There, I wrote it while saying it while typing it. Phenomenal set of circumstances, really.

2:03 PM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

well, it is indeed true that we can't judge whether a person is a better writer compared to another one. i reckon the difference would be the writing style. for e.g. i can *never* understand john grisham's but give me a james patterson book anytime, i'll be hooked to it.

2:12 PM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

that's just like how during the dot-com boom everyone said it was the end of newspapers and magazines. bah, people don't often log on riding the metro or bring their laptops into the bathroom. if anything, the online world will give the print media the kick in the ass that it needs to improve, or at least keep up in quality.

5:12 PM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

Ya u really have to be a persistent fuck with the editors, u know my struggle, I dont know if some writers are better than others, but experience in writing surely....writing can be look more artistic when the person writing has an easy flow, i.e. writing effortlessly

5:51 PM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

Andy, too right. However, there are some persons who have had loads of practise in writing and have written articles left, right and centre, yet all they seem to have gained is a sense of verboseness and pomposity in writing. I.e. they have memorised the thesaurus.

And just a side note to Bricktop351. I'm awestruck by the astounding nature of your phenomenal set of circumstances (read: I cracked up laughing).

6:31 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Jen: Yeah, I know the ones you speak of. A magazine I once wrote for had a columnist who liked to use words that inclined towards maximum verbosity, when a... good... word will do.

Ken: It's all in the practice. Trust me. There will be times when you will see articles that make you cringe.. but the difference is, they've been given a shot.

cadiz: the online world is making these writers a lot more accountable for their work too, I think. web zines have a readership that rivals print, but if one article cocks up in a newspaper, the online world will let you know about it.

Chica: Good to see you again :) Certain authors will get to you easier than others. personally i can never understand the fuss over tolkien.

Bricktop351: heh, hilarity of immense proportions... er yeah...

7:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home