Now contains nuts.

Friday, May 20, 2005

Guilty Until Proven Beautiful

So much is happening lately. I mean, this post will be a little different, even though I know that speaking on current events doesn't exactly float the boat of most people here.

A local shock jock, Derryn Hinch has caused a ruckus for stating opinions on the Schapelle Corby case that were hinted at on my own blog here, and it has a lot of people in a tizzy.

A lot of the comments left on news.com seem to vigorously defend Schapelle Corby, standing as human shields to protect her from the torrent of criticism that Hinch has (seemingly) launched upon her person.

But, from what I can interpret, he was commenting on the level of exposure she has received, due to her (apparent) looks. He probably also flayed the public because they've been propping up the media by slavering over every snippet of information... because she's a looker.

It doesn’t help that the article on news.com itself paints it as though Hinch has been lambasting the girl herself, as though the media attention she receives is somehow her fault. I quote the article “SHOCK jock Derryn Hinch has launched an astounding attack on accused drug smuggler Schapelle Corby, claiming she has only received so much sympathy because she is an attractive woman.”

Yet, the news.com quote of Hinch’s actual comments reads, “Corby has been getting all this attention because she is young, white, pretty and has big boobs,”

Erm, am I the only person who doesn't read that as Schapelle bashing? I can't see how that is "[launching] an astounding attack on [Corby]", unless Corby is somehow responsible for her "good looks".

I mean, I’m no woman, but I’m pretty sure she can’t help it if she’s “pretty” or has “big boobs”. If the media reacts to that, then is she to be held responsible for the subsequent circus? It's not like she's been pounding pavement over here to rally support. Last time I checked, she was locked up. And in Bali.

The article seems to say that Hinch attacked Corby, and the subsequent comments left seem to indicate that Hinch inferred that she was guilty.

But, I never heard Hinch's broadcast in full, so I'll reserve major judgement.

But, let’s ask a few questions.

Is she getting this media attention because she’s pretty? Maybe. My opinion says yes in that the public relates to her better because of those looks, but that's pure speculation. I don't hold onto that theory like it's the absolute truth.

Is Hinch merely grandstanding to obtain more ratings for his floundering show? Maybe.

Is Schapelle guilty of smuggling drugs into Bali? That’s for the courts to decide. As far as I’m concerned, she’s innocent until proven guilty. Without all the facts (and I am not entirely sure the media here have been giving us ALL the facts of the case), no one can really comment on that.

Based upon the evidence that has been dribbled to us, I believe there is sufficient reason to doubt that she did intend to smuggle these drugs... but we don't have ALL the facts.

A lot of people are drawing parallels between Corby and the Bali 9, who were busted with 8 kilos of heroin, which as I remember was strapped to their person. Now, call me crazy, but there is a difference between 4 kilos of marijuana in an unlocked boogie board bag, and having 8 kilos of another substance strapped to your skin.

"Um... officer, I don't know how that got there. It must've been planted on me... in my sleep."

The link is tenuous at best.

But... at the risk of sounding catty, I have to ask... is she THAT pretty? I'm sure that with a bit of make up, a stylist and some good lighting, she'd be perve-worthy. But the visage of her as the tear drenched, unshowered, unmasked prisoner that we're seeing is hardly flattering.

Hinch, you and I have different tastes in women.

But, that's missing the point entirely. What was I talking about? Oh yeah. Don't do drugs, kids.

Normal wacky services will resume tomorrow... or later... whenever I get off my arse...

****

Ugh... I have read, re-read, edited, re-edited this post a number of times and I can't get it right. First I defend Hinch, then I lambast him. I defend Corby, then ridicule her. The only thing that has stayed constant in this piece... is that News.com sucks. So N'yer news.com. I think I will leave this post alone now, and refrain from current events forever.

3 files below

Blogger Sherri said...

Interesting. Being from the other side of the world I haven't heard about this case. I do agree that attractive (or in some cases rich and/or famous) people definitely get more press when they are in trouble.

As for her looks...haven't seen her. But I do have an concern that I'll share. It pisses me off that women are expected to go to extreme efforts to make themselves as attractive as possible, then (in issues like this) we are accused of being too attractive.

I mean...come on! Give me a freakin' break.

I will absolutely not apologize for being the amazing looking stunner that I am! :)

9:22 PM

 
Blogger Drew said...

Great post.

And while I have been continually disgusted by the way the media has used this story as some kind of currency, I hadn't considered that angle before. It all seems so obvious now.

Now that Kylie has breast cancer they have someone else to use as currency, another set of clichés to churn out repeatedly and another hook to get people buying newspapers

7:29 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Sherri: I wouldn't think that this story would've got much exposure over in the states. As for being a looker, well, no matter where you are, you can be lauded and derided for those looks.

Drew: Oh, I agree. ALso, Dannii seems have seized the day to get her face back out there, too. BUt now people may give money for breast cancer research, now that its topical. NOw, I'm reminded of those people who refused to give their money for a different charity after the tsunami one said that they had enough money...

1:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home