Now contains nuts.

Friday, April 29, 2005

Blog: The Sleaze Joint With A Soft Glow

I did have a different entry lined up for today, but some friends could do with a bit of cheering up. So, if you’re reading, this is for you guys… you know who you are.

It’s my paltry effort to lighten the tone a bit around here. My high horse is in the stable, and doesn’t want to do anymore riding in with pomp and ceremony.

Anyway…

Most of the people who comment on my blog are female, claim to be female, are a female magnet, or claim to be a female magnet.

I’m not inferring anything, people… I’m just covering myself.

I’ve noticed that lot of other guys who blog have a fairly large proportion of their readership in the female spectrum of our species, regardless of the sexual orientation of the blogger.

In turn, I’ve noticed that a lot of females have a fair whack of males, people claiming to be males (but who would honestly falsify their gender to be a male?), male magnets, or claiming to be a male magnet (although all you’d have to do is say “I have breasts” and just watch them come a runnin’, Pa… a h’yuck)

Admittedly, and I don’t think many would actually own up to this, I’d select to comment on a blog because the author was female. Not to say I haven’t commented on a male’s blog, as I regularly throw something out onto I’m an Intern In New York, October 4th or 123 I love you, but I would probably maintain contact with a female’s blog more than a male’s.

I’m only a mere male. Besides, I put this down to my getting along with women better than men… mainly because I constantly get accused of cracking onto people's girlfriends…

No, I wasn’t using blog as a method of meeting women. No, really. I wasn’t. If you’re gonna raise that single eyebrow like that, I’m gonna… gonna… I dunno. Probably flirt with you some more. You know, you’re cute when you raise your eyebrow like that…

But I digress.

I have mentioned before (and many times in the myriad of different articles I’ve written for various websites years ago) about how anonymity over the Internet reduces people’s inhibitions to a level that makes alcohol look like a personality suppressant. As a result of this, I have seen some of the most uninhibited, sleazy, random, and downright disrespectful conversations.

Being on IRC for five seconds seems to reinforce this:

*** Joins channel #such-and-such - Secksy_Chick
(John) Hi Secksy Chick!
(Paul) Hi!
(George) Hi SC!
(Ringo) Hi!
(Pete) Hi!
(Secksy_Chick) Hi guys
(John) Wanna cyber?
(Paul) Wanna cyber?
(George) Wanna cyber? asl?
(Ringo) Wanna cyber?
(Pete) asl? Wanna cyber?
*** Secksy_Chick quits IRC (Fuck off)

To be honest, whilst I enjoy the attention this blog now gets, I would never do the whole “flirting” thing over the phone cable. Rather than being bathed in the soft glow of a PC monitor, waiting for the next jumble of text to appear on the screen, I much prefer being face-to-face with someone so you can actively gauge their responses through their body language, and their conversation.

I like the spontaneity. I like revelling in knowing that anything can happen and you don’t have the luxury of forethought providing a safety net (ie you don’t stop… think… type… edit…retype…and then send your response). It is much more exciting knowing that at any second you could put your foot in your mouth, and fuck everything up.

And believe me… I have… and will in future…

Besides, blog flirting conjures up seedy images that are, whilst probably inaccurate, less than complimentary. Forgive me for playing to the stereotypes.

There is nothing more fun than asking a girl if she likes Shania Twain… grabbing her on the arse and saying, “Man, you feel like a woman”.

It’s just as fun watching the bruise under your eye go down…

11 files below

Blogger jazz said...

everyone likes attention from the opposite sex.

you do know that X is the WORST when it comes to flirting. it's pretty amazing.

11:14 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Yeah, I guess all heterosexuals crave a certain amount of attention from the other gender... it's what separates us from those... er... who don't... crave... it... *blinks*

And I've read X's blog... yes, I know. :)

12:41 PM

 
Blogger X said...

... I’d select to comment on a blog because the author was female.

So would I.

... I would probably maintain contact with a female’s blog more than a male’s.

So would I.

... I constantly get accused of cracking onto people's girlfriends...

So do I.

... I wasn’t using blog as a method of meeting women.

I was.

... I would never do the whole “flirting” thing over the phone cable.

I would.

I much prefer being face-to-face with someone so you can actively gauge their responses through their body language, and their conversation.

So do I, but flirting is flirting. I don't mind the medium.

It is much more exciting knowing that at any second you could put your foot in your mouth, and fuck everything up.

Most definitely. I'll have to admit to actually getting off on this type of excitement. I'm a "thrill of the chase" kind of guy.

In short, I'm not going to defend myself. I know what I'm capable of.

I'm not even sorry.

---X

2:29 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

I don't expect you to be sorry. I was talking about myself personally... and I wasn't trying to assert some form of moral high ground. And I wasn't targetting anyone with the post.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent blokes. Do whatever you like... :)

It's my blog... so I'm gonna be talking about me. :P

2:41 PM

 
Blogger X said...

Hey, even if you were asserting moral high ground, I wouldn't take it. I'm just immoral like that.

*wolf-whistles at Jasmine*

---X

2:46 PM

 
Blogger X said...

Yeah, I sounded like an ass. I apologise.

There should really be some sarcasm HTML tags. Like:

[sarcasm]I'm going to go into college today and not hit on any girls.[/sarcasm]

---X

3:22 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Don't worry, X... I don't think anyone around here missed the sarcasm.

We're pretty sharp.

3:25 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Thank you for a much needed laugh today. I can’t remember how many times I laughed out loud reading this post. I don’t know if it was over “being bathed in the soft glow of a PC monitor” or the concept of blog flirting vs foot in mouth. Yeah, I’ve done both! But can you see my raised eyebrow, and how did you know I look cute? But I digress too…

Why do we want to attract the opposite sex to our blogs and comment on theirs? Flirting aside, we get an insight into the opposite sex’s mind. People are often honest in their opinions, unlike real life where there are games to play. I find it fascinating and have learnt a lot from what guys have commented. And, yeah, flirting is fun too :).

10:05 PM

 
Blogger Sherri said...

Darn...I was going to hit on you too....oh well.

10:53 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

If you want to hit on Freddie Prinze Jnr look alikes, then go ahead. Note: I'm a neurotic, sullen australian that can't take a sharp photo.

I'm sure your husband won't mind one bit :)

3:59 PM

 
Blogger Sherri said...

Not only does he not mind, he encourages strange men to buy me drinks :)

Odd....

5:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home