Now contains nuts.

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Volleyball is Greener

“The Grass Is Greener On The Other Side” is a hackneyed phrase that is paddled about in a manner not dissimilar to a bunch of beginners slapping around a beach volleyball. It usually relates to people in relationships who often ponder over the possibility of being single again.

Which is funny, because a lot of people who are single are trying to hop the fence to the field of Relationship. Not all people… just a lot.

It’s amusing that when you’re on one side of the fence, you don’t notice that the field on the other side primarily green due to all the weeds…

Last night I decided to take a stroll down the beach. I had no reason other than I simply wanted to do it, which for me is reason enough. As I worked my way past the Grange jetty, I watched the beginners slapping around a volleyball like some hackneyed phrase pertaining to relationships. I stopped to give some small pointers (I played volleyball in my teenage years), and then continued down south towards West Beach.

The wind was cold and sharp. A young couple were walking their tiny dog who immediately ran up to me and yipped. After a few nips on my heels, and a brief chat with them, the coupled smiled and continued on their way. I did likewise, although my ankles did sting a bit, thank you sharp puppy teeth.

The sun slowly submerged beneath the horizon, which I viewed parked on a bench somewhere near Henley Beach. Like a wave lapping up on the shore, a feeling washed over me, cleansing out all the worries and problems that have been needling me lately. It was a reassuring sense that finally awoke a realisation I should’ve made a while ago.

This is freedom. The price of this freedom is a slight form of loneliness.

To be honest, considering where I am at the moment and what my plans are, I’ll take the freedom - with no fries - thanks.

As per an entry I made months ago, I have to appreciate this freedom before it is dead, killed off in a gory display of love and affection from my future partner, whoever she may be.

Oh, and to the joker who subscribed me to the Yahoo Haha list, very funny. Maybe it’s me, but I thought those things were meant to be humorous…

But thank you, nonetheless.

0 files below

Post a Comment

<< Home