Now contains nuts.

Monday, November 28, 2005

Early Reflection

I wrote last year about how I don’t fuck with Christmas; it has eerie powers. Well, this year has been relatively painless, what with the whole “Not Having To Buy For A Partner Plus Their Entire Extended Family” thing.

I’d say something like, “It speaks volumes for internet shopping” to somehow outline just how techno-savvy I am, and how my forward-thinking allowed me to avoid being crushed among the throng of iPod desperate teenagers and Soccer-mums bearing suicidal shopping trolleys, if it weren’t for the fact that I simply didn’t do any shopping over the ‘net.

Instead… I got all my shopping done on the weekend, as outrageous as that sounds.

It helps further that the only presents I had to buy were for my parents, my brothers and other miscellaneous friends whom have been there this year.

The idea of spending Christmas by myself is not one I dread, nor do I think it will be odd; Christmas always represented just another party that my ex and I held. We entertained constantly, and I’ve grown accustomed to a definite lack of dinner-parties, involving me cooking on the weber, and consuming vast amounts of wine or beer. Or both.

Faking my interest in conversations with my sister-in-law’s dumb-arse boyfriend is something I’ve definitely enjoyed living without.

Oh Christmas hasn’t got me worried one iota. It’ll be just another day, and I will come out of it bloating with food and brimming with scotch and coke.

It’s New Years that has me more concerned.

The previous New Years saw me spending much of the night drinking with a couple good friends, after having very little to eat beforehand. I had no appetite, due to stress.

It was a time in where the world seemed to spin uncontrollably, dizzying me with bright spotlights, loud music, and promises of uncertain times ahead. It was so confusing, to be out without my wife, knowing she was with someone else. I felt so unrestrained, yet so confused.

It must be how a caged animal must feel when it is returned to the wild.

I left the shin-dig fifteen minutes prior to the countdown to the new year. I was ill from not eating anything that day. I stopped the taxi just before my home so that I could walk off a bit of the alcoholic haze that enveloped me.

As I began my trek home, I heard the commotion from the city. Midnight had just skipped past. Many homes holding their own parties cheered and popped their poppers.

My eyes vehemently stared at their front doors, my mind selfishly wondering why everyone should be so happy, when the world around my shoulders was crumbling.

I cast my thoughts back to happier times, in where I looked forward to holding parties, or heading out with friends and with the wife. I remembered the laughter in my ears, and the antics reminiscent of many mid-twenty Australianites.

But I walked alone that night, with the fireworks at my back.

Further reflection reminded me of her selfishness. How nothing was ever good enough for her. No matter how hard I tried, I could never hope to achieve the lofty heights of her expectations. No matter how much I sacrificed for her, she still spent New Years Eve with another man.

2004 will be remembered by me with the final words I SMS’ed to her that night. I had married the woman, and had tolerated all her quirks. And remembering all the effort I had made, I sent her the text message:

“I am the most stupid man alive”

13 files below

Blogger jennifersando said...

Yikes, Andy. That's intense. Actually, today my neighbour that I also happen to catch the bus home with told me that his wife left him 4 weeks ago for a bloke she is "head over heels in love with" -- after 20 years of marriage. Must be a day for such reflections.

NYE 2005 will hopefully have you sending a text message saying you are the happiest man alive...

9:53 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

I think that towards the end of the year, many people reflect on the past 12 months, and how it has affected their life.

This year has been a roller-coaster

NYE will be times for looking ahead, to life anew. I 'll be cleansing the past 12 months from my system.

10:06 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

Don't hang too much significance on calendar milestones like NYE, mate. They rarely deliver, so concentrate on spending good times with your friends whenever the opportunity presents itself.

11:37 PM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

that roller-coaster ride that you had wasn't too bad was it? i hope you'll have a rocking year ahead coz you just simply deserve it. think japan! ;-)

12:37 AM

 
Blogger Steph said...

As much as i hate christmas. I hate new years eve even more. God i sound like the Grinch!

New years eve has such pressure attached to it. You MUST go out, you MUST have a great time, you MUST not remember much of it the next day.

For some reason the stroke of midnight on new years always depresses me. I have a flashback on the whole year in a matter of seconds, and very rarely does it make me happy.

I need my meds now.

1:47 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Christmas and New Year's Eve are not a happy time at all in our household. My partner's best friend died in a car accident on Christmas Day 6 years ago and my cousin died on New Year's 5 years ago, so the whole week sucks, really. But I treasure the fact I'm spedning these holidays with people I care about, not needing them to be big occasions, and I think it's great you acknowledge your family and people that have been there for you this year, because that's all that matters really :)

8:58 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

It is truly a relief to know that I'm not the only one out there who doesn't look at the festive season with great enthusiasm.

I've heard multiple stories of death at this time of year... and I am thankful that I don't have anything that extreme to haunt me.

Truly, I am fortunate.

1:07 PM

 
Blogger Kaufman said...

I share Chris's (first) thoughts regarding what you've written here. The days that society celebrates as a cummulative force can be counted on one hand.

I'd say you've learned a considerable mount about who you are as well since parting ways.

I reckon if we can all somehow treat the other 360 days with a fraction as much importance as we do the days of compulsory celebration, we'd all be better off.

We've been O/S for close to three years, having only had one genuinely memorable Christmas - at Dr DogChop's place, as a matter of fact. The other times, including NYE, haven't really mattered as they've been regular days because we've treaetd them as such. I know it's a cliche but days like these are the workings of an extended group mentality, which, for mine, is worth missing.

4:59 PM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

of wateva little i know of u durin the past few months, im guessing this year was much better, and thers Japan and the impending novel (which i hope u havent abandoned and its quick on its way)
and yeah NYE is just another day like say 1st of december, so wats the big deal

6:45 AM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Didn’t a wise man once say that his eyes should hence point forward? That’s all I will say for now…

As one of your long time readers, I’d be more interested in knowing what you will remember 2005 for…

6:35 PM

 
Blogger chica bonita said...

remember us of course, chickybabe. we have been here for a long long time haven't we? ;-)

12:54 AM

 
Blogger Steph said...

Consider yourself TAGGED! *runs away*

12:20 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

True, but will he remember us, Chica? ;)

I still recall the early days of Chicky and Chica and Andy at the Asylum... sounds like a post waiting to be written! :)

*sorry to hijack your comments Andy*

12:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home