Now contains nuts.

Friday, October 28, 2005

Doing the Rudimentary Shuffle

In this day and age in where perils lie everywhere, young travelers are only good for locking away for drug possession and terrorists are hiding in dingy corners and underneath overturned fridge boxes, the idea of taking a trip fills many with a feeling not dissimilar to dread.

Take the word “many” from that last sentence and replace it with “my parents” and you’ll get the gist of what I’m saying.

My parents fret too much. They believe everything on the news. In fact, if I wasn’t such a huge fan of their work, I’d be calling them right-wing-fundies-who-should-chill-out-more.

However, chilling out requires some pill taking these days, and I don’t want a background of substance abusing parents. I’m traveling and don’t need that publicity.

My folks fret at the idea that my brother lives in Sydney. Okay, yes he’s diabetic, but he’s 30 years old and should be able to look after himself. Should.

My folks fretted when I went to Sydney in June. I think that had a lot more to do with the fact that I was driving there, and that Sydney roads are reminiscent of a Mad Max (“Road Warrior” for you State-siders) movie.

It’s the whole “don’t get killed over there, whatever you do” thing.

But I was chatting with my best friend the other day about this phenomenon, and he raised a bloody good point.

“You could get killed by trying to cross the road” he said, and he regaled me the story of when he was in LA trying to cross the road. He instinctively turned his head to the right, instead of the left, to check for traffic. Nearly got sconned.

So, if - heaven forbid – that I decide to up and off this mortal coil, I would much rather have the story of my demise be “Oh, he was caught up in that awful earthquake in Tokyo. He died trying to save a Labrador puppy from a falling piece of billboard” over “he was cracked by the 5.13 Circle Line Bus at Victoria Square”

It’s the difference between dying doing something adventurous or doing something rudimentary.

Okay, I might’ve just jinxed myself. But if anything happens, tell people I just had to save the puppy.

8 files below

Blogger Chris said...

I saw a woman try to shirt-front a double-decker bus in Oxford Circus this week. I only hope her parents instilled in her a compulsion for wearing clean underwear.

3:07 AM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

i have inherited the very potent paranoia gene from my parents. it's scary the things i worry about as i get older that i swore i never would.

8:46 AM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

I'm always getting run over.

Once, a friend literally pulled me and lifted me up by a backpack handle from the road where I'd walked out in front of an oncoming car (there was a hill so the car had just come racing over the hill as I stepped out from the kerb).

3:28 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

"if I wasn’t such a huge fan of their work" - Brilliant!!! :)

If they're anything like my parents, they'd worry about what you're going to eat over there. Mine still do!

7:33 PM

 
Blogger Aminah said...

Ah, well they may worry...but at least they haven't refused to let you leave the house, chained you to a chair or paid for 24 hour a day security monitoring to prevent you from going anywhere. Not fun.

2:53 PM

 
Blogger Kaufman said...

I don't know your folks but I'm guessing that they're not worried about you becoming dead all of a sudden. It's based on personal experience with my kids. I'd say your folks are afraid of you having fun in excessive proportions to your age and/or height [i.e much more in both respects to when you were nine] and that in your haste to remember to tell them about it you'll do something silly like cross the road.

I like how the misconception of safety when flying is still being pushed by the media.

Betty: "I've booked my round-the-world trip."
Mildred: "You're not going to fly! Please tell me you're not going to fly!"
Betty: "Don't be silly. Flying is for the birds and for thrill seekers. I'm going to drive everywhere. It's soooooo much safer."
Mildred: "Phew, what a relief!"

Hey, don't pedestrians have the right of way in LA? That guy shouldn't have even gotten close to being run over.

7:51 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

DDC: Oh, mine don't call that often either. They prefer to wait until they see me before they say something, or they talk to my friends... a friend told me that my parents asked if she could prevent me from going overseas... funno.

Steph: I sincerely hope I have a blast :) Although the gypsy count in Japan is a little lower ;) Must watch out for other nasties, I'm sure...

Chris: I'd have my bets on the bus winning, unless she was built like the full back from wigan...

Cadiz: It is interesting how your mind ticks over to consider other things as you grow older. Maybe it's wisdom... maybe it's paranoia... but I guess one must keep in mind that nothing ventured is nothing gained.

Jen: In Sydney... I'm not surprised. Whilst there, I was crossing george street when the green man was showing... and nearly got clocked by a taxi. The CBD is a death trap worthy of indiana jones.

CB: Oh my parents will worry about what i'll eat, what i'll do, where i'll be, who i'm with, about my savings... it's an ingrained thing. Parents always worry, no matter the age of their child. :)

Auburn: being a magnet for trouble prepares you better for the next thing you draw in.... i guess :) but japan doesn't seem all that intimidating. Well... to me, anyway.

aminah: You've seen photos of my teenage years, then? :)

BT3: your theory warrants discourse, I must say. They are aware of my aversion of awareness whilst I am enthused about something. But my parents are from the "worst case scenario" ilk who get swept up by media sensationalism, believing that everything said on the news is total fact. Meh... either way.

10:29 AM

 
Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

tag!
you are the one!

ok, you are one of three, but i keep singing summertime rolls by janes addiction

you have been tagged
xx

11:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home