Now contains nuts.

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Moron Magnet

My wife locked horns with her sister’s boyfriend on the weekend. For the sake of anonymity, let’s call him “The Fuckwit With No Sense Of Right And/Or Wrong”, or TFWNSORAOR for short.

From that, I think she learned a valuable lesson: Do not argue with idiots, as they only drag you down to their level and beat you at their own game.

Or they beat you with experience... whatever. Either way, this bloke can use the most fragmented of logic to argue a point.

And to TFWNSORAOR’s credit, he is really, really good at it.

Who else could try to crack onto my wife, attack me after I caught him red-handed (and before he forced himself onto my wife), blame his actions on alcohol, pledge to give up alcohol, get stupidly drunk the following weekend, and then wonder why we haven’t “gotten over” what he’s done?

He puts on a marvellous display of misdirection, as he tries fervently to climb atop the moral high-ground in order to justify his behaviour. He cites previous occasions in where I somehow lied to him, hoping to get me to argue back on that topic, and eventually causing me to lose sight of what we were actually arguing about in the first place. Or he uses the fact that I decked him as some reasoning that I’m no better than him.

He uses a “get over it” adage to assert that he can go on with life, and is therefore somehow a superior human being, and that somehow our holding resentment towards him and his actions is trapping us in the past and makes us lesser people.

It is the way that he says this with such conviction, that you honestly believe that he has a point. You somehow feel like you’re at fault, as though you have no right to administer this level of scorn upon his poor psyche.

But then you realise that this argument wouldn’t be happening if it wasn’t for his actions.

Honestly, dear reader, if you performed an act that hurt someone, would you take some steps to rectify the situation? If alcohol was a contributing factor to your bad behaviour, would you try to reduce your excessive consumption of liquor?

I mean, I wouldn’t expect someone to go dry for the rest of their lives, but at least I’d expect them to exercise some level of self control, especially if they cite alcohol as the major factor behind their obnoxious attitudes and sleazy deeds.

That is... if they honestly believed that their behaviour was wrong, which in the case of my sister-in-law’s boyfriend, I think he doesn’t.

Or, if they actually respected the people to whom they did their terrible deeds, which in his case, I don’t think he does.

I fear for my sister-in-law, as she is obviously under the sway of this manipulative, conniving and calculating prick. She happily accepts that his unfaithfulness (my wife isn’t the first person he has tried this on) is brought about by his alcohol abuse, and that it is “the way he is”.

“The way he is”. Oh how I never tire of hearing this excuse. I like the idea that all our actions should somehow be accepted due to our personality quirks, or our ingrained behaviours. On an exaggerated level, this is the reasoning that would allow Martin Bryant to roam the streets, shooting whoever he feels like.

My wife tried to argue that if I was to try to crack onto TFWNSORAOR’s girlfriend (ie my sister-in-law), then TFWNSORAOR wouldn’t be so keen to “get over it”, to which he replied that “[Aph] and I are different people...”

You gotta love that. Because I’m a decent person, I’m not allowed to do indecent things. Heaven forbid that in a moment of drunkenness, I turned around and punched this guy in the face (again), that I cannot lay the blame with my personality. Therefore, I must be chided for acting out of the character set by the guidelines of TFWNSORAOR.

I love a nice hypocrisy. It’s a pleasant reminder that despite all the intelligent people in the world, life will almost always be affected by vocal yet narrow-minded fuckheads.

I seem to be a moron-magnet.

0 files below

Post a Comment

<< Home