Now contains nuts.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Good People

When I go for my wander along the coastline for exercise… most evenings… I often catch snippets of conversations from walkers who pass by.

It’s not like I’m intentionally eavesdropping. These people must think that they’re the only mob along the beach, and therefore can blare out their personal details in complete confidence.

Either that, or I should stop hiding in the bushes.

I actually alluded to this in a previous post, but a lot of the conversation snippets usually go along the lines of superlatives directed at the forlorn looking walker, assuring them that they won’t be alone forever.

I feel like grabbing these people and telling them, “Firstly, being alone ain’t all that bad! Secondly, out of the billions of people on the planet, someone is bound to find you worthy enough!”

But the question I ask is… if everyone I pass along the beach is a “good person” then why doesn’t everyone just get along with each other? Why can’t good people just waltz up to other such good people and simply have a conversation… because you know… we’re good people. We should get along like a petrol truck on fire… ‘cos we’re good people, you know.

But nah… that’d be weird.

Damn social expectations. Everyone is a good person; giving, gentle, kind, compassionate, smart, insightful, fun, generous, remarkable, inspirational.

One night I went out with some friends. I saw a girl checking me out. I went over and tried to strike up a conversation. She turned her back on me.

My response?

Yelling over the top of the loud music, I lean in closer to her ear so she could hear me, “Hey… I could’ve been the best person that you had ever met…”

She turns to me, a look in her eye as if she is about to give me the line to piss off.

“… and you just fucked it up.” I interrupted.

I walk off.

Further edit to this post: If you ever need proof that Andy isn't perfect, you may cite this post as it is totally admissible.

*shakes head*

12 files below

Blogger jazz said...

hope you don't mind but i'm going to disagree with you here.

people don't talk to all people they see walking on the beach because it would be "weird." i just think that i don't always feel like talking to every random person who feels like talking to me. sometimes i do (and i meet more strangers than all the people you know put together, i'll bet).

as for the girl: is it possible she wasn't checking you out and you'd misread her? sometimes i look at a guy b/c i think he's wearing something weird, or because he looks like someone i know, or because i can't tell if he's good looking, etc.

also, i generally hate getting hit on at bars. i assume the guy is slimey. if i hadn't been checking you out and you came over, i might have turned my back on you too.

and instead of shrugging off the slight rejection you've got to be aggressive about it? then your angry and presumptuous self has the gall to tell me that i just "fucked it up..." and walk off?

don't hate me, but i would have laughed at you, rolled my eyes, and forgotten you existed. just putting you in this average girl's position.

and even if she was checking you out, she doesn't owe you a conversation. nobody does. you'll find people like you who like random conversation. to hell with the ones that don't. no need to be all passive aggressive about it...

1:44 PM

 
Blogger jazz said...

that was a comment of epic proportions. sorry. should have just e-mailed it to you!

1:45 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Meh, Jazz. :) We're all entitled to an opinion. No, don't hate you. :)

Your theory is indeed possible. It is often difficult to interpret body language, sultry eyes and whatever.

Yes, maybe I was wrong to do it... maybe I shouldn't have flown off the handle. Maybe... there's a lot of maybe's there. But for me to outline the various signals I got would be to enter into some "She was", "was not", "was too" argument... which is pointless.

Ultimately, I did what I did, and life goes on.

I didn't check her reaction to my outburst. I don't think it matters, either. :)

Chalk this one up to Andy's Greatest Fuck Ups #538 and move on. :)

1:57 PM

 
Blogger jazz said...

it's not a fuck up. it's a "eh, who cares, i've forgotten about it."

or, i think that's the level it should be at but you seemed pretty annoyed still.

bah. forget it ever happened!

2:04 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Oh and I don't expect people to chat to each other on the beach... i was only using that as to explain why I chose the whole "people are good" topic.

I like to be left alone when I'm on the beach.

Ugh, I haven't explained this post at all well. I'm just letting it go, now.

2:06 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

I was annoyed back then... It happened about four months ago. :)

It was just a story I felt lined up with the topic...

2:09 PM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

i'm with jasmine about women automatically putting their guard up at the bar. even the best guy could get a brush-off at the bar, simply because it's hard to tell them apart from the majority of skanky boys just trying to get into your pants.

don't take it personally.

7:50 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Thanks guys. 4Sanity did grasp what I was trying to say, although what i said to that girl was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Hitting the bars shortly after a marriage breakup probably isn't the best idea... in hindsight.

8:54 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

You mean people come up to you and tell you not to feel bad that you’re alone? Geez! When I go on my beach walk, I get weirdos and old men trying to chat me up or make some small talk I’m not interested in. If some attractive guy said something, nah…that wouldn’t happen!

BTW, the bar incident cracked me up. I thought it was, well, a typical Andy response. *sorry*. I’ll put my hand over my mouth now… Just remind me not be that girl and bear the wrath of Andy…

9:06 PM

 
Blogger Sherri said...

I can honestly say that unless a guy comes on with a cheesy line or is really aggressive I will talk to anyone in a bar. I have learned over time that you can't judge who someone is just by looking at them. Even though a guy may not be the romantic vision of your dreams he may be someone that you will be glad to know. I have met many male friends this way. While there was no romance involved they have become cherished parts of my life.....all because I gave them a chance.

Good on you Andy. I LOVE what you said to her. The biatch :)

9:17 PM

 
Blogger Drew said...

I once overheard a conversation on a bus between two schoolkids. One was telling the other about an on-again/off-again romance where the guy wrote the girl a letter but she never got it but someone else saw it and told her about it just as he was getting on a plane so she had to race to the airport to tell him she loved him.

I was thinking 'wow, that's a really great story for a couple of schoolkids'. Then I realised they were talking about an episode of The OC or something.

Maybe all the people you pass on the beach just watch the same TV shows.

9:40 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Drew, I was just thinking "Yeah, that's a pretty romantic story for a couple", and then I read the punchline, and laughed out loud.

I just think all these friends spouting these superlatives just went to the same weekend long counselling course...

10:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home