Now contains nuts.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Random Craziness From Beyond The Border

Today is business as usual, but not before I outline some of the craziness from the past week. This is a bit random. Bear with it.

Adelaide has its fair share of nutjobs, but it is kinda reassuring to know that this isn’t exactly the nerve-centre of nuttersville.

The guy and girl who snoozed on each other whilst on the train was particularly amusing. You know what they say about small things amusing certain strains of minds…

In the post before, I mentioned the extreme cold I faced when standing over the Three Sisters at Echo Point, Katoomba. You know, the magic in the air that nearly wiped my head clean off my shoulders.

Well, after hopping back in the car, some schoolgirls walked past.

Wearing short skirts.

?

*shudder*

The people who stand around selling The Big Issue (it’s a magazine published of behalf of and sold by homeless people, for those of you outside Australia) actually approach you on the street, as opposed to here in Adelaide, the people just stand around holding the magazine out in front of them, looking forlorn.

Nothing against the homeless, and I feel for their cause, despite being unable to fully understand their turmoil.

But actively approaching people doesn’t strike me as the best way for them to endear themselves to people. But, I’ll change topic before I offend someone.

Men wearing pink shirts. Sorry, I don’t get it. Maybe I’m not “cosmo” enough. But I don’t exactly reside in the hub of world fashion, so I guess I shouldn’t comment.

Nothing against Americans, but I did notice that out of all the tourists in Circular Quay (where viewing of the bridge and Opera house may be done), they were the ones I could hear the most often.

Their accent sticks out like a sore thumb in this country.

It casts my memory back to the time I was staying on Moreton Island in Queensland. The whole island was populated by Americans. After playing pool with some of them, I was informed that they “loved my accent”.

All I said was, “Mate, you’re in my country… you’re the one with the accent…”

Hearty laughs were exchanged, and life moved on.

Once, I saw my silhouette in front of me. I took a photo, a la CB from ChickyBabeRules. I disfigured my thumb and fingers on the golf driving range near the resort I stayed in; blisters from not doing a proper golf stroke, coupled with trying to whack the ball out of the range. Took a photo of said injury a la Lizzie from girlsohard.net.

Shook my head vigorously. Too much time spent blogging, I think. Those photo’s won’t appear here, I’m afraid. I don’t want to rip people off.

For such a populated city, the sidewalks are really narrow. Well, compared to Adelaide anyway, yet Adelaide doesn’t have anywhere near the amount of people.

It’s a bit baffling. Oh well.

I’m sure more little memories will come to me as the days go on. Until then, it’s back to local nutbags… yes, including me.

9 files below

Blogger chica bonita said...

The dude selling big issue over here doesn't approach people on the street nor standing still holding the magazine waiting for people to buy. He just simply does his usual funny tune in his really rowdy voice saying "come buy the new bigggg issueeee" repeated over and over again. and when he gets bored, he just walk across and chat to the old lady working for salvation army.

and what's wrong with men wearing pink shirts? some guys can really pull it off and look awesome in pink!

2:40 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

1. You’re either a pink shirt man, or you’re not. You need to get a bit less "cosmo" and more “metro”, Andy :)
2. Sleeping on public transport is common. I had a tall, young, blonde guy fall asleep on me on the bus last week. Pity he wasn’t cute!
3. Footpaths in Sydney…ugh! Construction everywhere.
4. Silhouettes rule! ;)

9:29 PM

 
Blogger X said...

I never understood the pink shirt thing myself. It's definitely not for me, in a "wouldn't be seen dead" kind of way.

---X

9:33 PM

 
Blogger Sherri said...

Andy....even Americans make fun of some American accents. Southerners sound ignorant and people from Boston....well they don't even sound like they are from Earth. "The Cohncert was wicked Hahd core."

Pink shirt issue.....I'd have to say I'm not a fan of pink shirts on guys.

Homeless....I'm not touching that one.

Good to have you back! :)

10:25 PM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:57 PM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

(whoops for above - didn't mean to delete).

I love Ted Baker London shirts with pink /purple tones on a guy. They're so nice.

But then, any coloured Ted Baker shirt is damn sexy on a guy..

Drool!
Sometimes I wish I was a guy, just to wear those shirts.

11:01 PM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

Really found the pics of ur trip an awesome treat, thanx for sharing them

4:49 AM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

when you're not allowed to wear short skirts, not even cold weather will prevent you from traipsing around in them.

don't worry andy, pink shirts will be out of style again in a few years. you should be safe.

8:16 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

Chica: OUr big issue guys just stand around... waiting patiently. It's kinda depressing in a way. BUt hey...

Also... pink shirts. I guess it's subjective. All I can say is that I don't get it.

Lizzie: I'm with you on the pink shirts. I guess it's partially to just appear chic and "with it". I don't get it.

I'd love to post the huge blister on my thumb, but it was deleted.. :(

CB: I'm with you on everything there! :) ALthough "metro" is too "buzz-word" for my liking. I prefer to wear what I like. Footy shorts and singlet tops the whole way!

X: I'm with you on that. Definitely.

Sherri: Well, I'm glad you guys can look at your accents in that way. The only difference between regions here is the way pronounce "school" and "castle". South Australians sound British to foreigners...

Jen: I'd love to discourse about Ted Baker shirts, but I'm afraid I'm ignorant on the subject :) I'll keep an eye out for one though...

Kenneth: No probs! Glad you enjoyed! This country can come up with some awesome landscapes and moods. As I'm sure yours does too.

Cadiz: I guess you're right on the short skirt thing. I admire their resolve in appearing comfortable despite the freezing temperature. Maybe I'm just not good with the cold.

I hope you're right on the pink thing. :)

For those who like pink shirts, go nuts. I'm not stopping you. I don't care that you like them. I just simply don't get it.

8:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home