Now contains nuts.

Monday, January 31, 2005

Better Off Ugly.

Yesterday, I had the privilege of attending what is fast becoming a popular motorsport in Australia, the Drift Race. I found it to be a most enthralling and interesting experience. Enthralling, because deep within the murky soup that is my mind is a visceral, manly need to be around fast cars, and chicks wearing bugger-all clothing, but interesting because it displayed quite clearly the phenomenon of “beautiful women dating ugly men”.

I’m not writing this to be judgemental, or to deride the lovely ladies because of their choice of man, mainly because it’s their choice and there are probably redeeming traits that come out when the doors are closed, ie good sense of humour, subservient, or gives a great foot massage. I don’t know, and I don’t care. Good luck to them.

I’m writing this because I just want to ponder over how the men get the confidence to just waltz up to some great looking woman and just chat away. On top of that, how they can do so without appearing to be some sleaze-bag that wants to jump their bones.

Perhaps it’s the initial impression that is given? If the guy seems like a “sweetie”, then he is probably worth talking to without fear of afore-mentioned bone-jumping. Whereas, if the guy looks like a sleaze-bag, then they’ll withdraw and go running for afore-mentioned sweetie ie the one who made a good, afore-mentioned initial impression. Afore.

But is it a level of arrogance that possesses a man to talk to such women? From a personal standpoint, I’ve noticed that the women that I’ve been attracted to have been extremely intimidating people. Whether it is through beauty, social standing or level of drive, it seems to remind me of “wanting what is out of your league”, or “wanting what you can’t have”. To approach someone whom you immediately deem as better than you requires some level of self-confidence, or daresay it, arrogance.

Because if you have a face that looks like the east side of a west-bound dump-truck, surely you’d have a lot of nerve to waltz up to grid girls/models and start chatting them up? Either that, or you’re just completely and utterly shameless.

If that’s the case, then you’re a prick and I hate you, but I wanna be you... but without your face.

2 files below

Blogger Andy said...

Cheers, Eric. It's amazing people still find these old posts.

Anyway, feel free to link me. :)

Cheers

3:36 PM

 
Blogger Nadya said...

Ahah, yeah I noticed this too. It may seem counter-intuitive but I think the answer a lot of unattractive men just have really over-inflated egos.

Yeah, you sometimes see once in a red moon the beautiful women/unattractive man combo (excluding the very obvious cases of gold-digging money/beauty social exchange contract) I notice in those case the woman never seem really happy, like something is missing: definitely not the "can't get my hands of him" thing you know? Many of these women often have very low self esteem, some may just not be interested in sex hence why they could go for an physically unattractive man. But like you said, they may have some redeeming qualities not readily observable, be it humor, personality, chess playing skills etc

8:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home