Now contains nuts.

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Untraining the "More Is More" Thinking

This entry initially started out as a bit of a whine about how I have to leave my workplace to go to my substantive job... but then I realised something.

I looked back at a previous entry in where I criticise someone for not appreciating something when they have it, and are quick to mourn the loss of said thing. I guess it is the norm rather than the exception that people will take things for granted, and that nothing is truly appreciated until it is taken away.

So, I guess that rather than lamenting the slight inconvenience of having to change workplaces involuntarily, I should really take my own damn words, and appreciate what I have.

I have a good job. Maybe not as good as I’d like, but it’s still a job. A lot of people don’t have that.

I have a wife. Sure, she’s not perfect, but I don’t feel like I can criticise that, as I know that I’m far from a perfect husband. Besides, most of the blogs I read pertain to the lack of a love life, and the writer’s seemingly endless wander through the wilderness of singlehood, so I guess I should be grateful that I’ve found someone so early in my life.

I have a roof over my head. Although this said roof may be mostly in the possession of the bank at the moment (ie mortgage), it is still more than what some people have. In this current economic climate, and with house prices at a stupid level across the country, I should think that I am lucky that I got this house early enough to avoid the property boom of the early 2k’s.

The only mouths I have to feed are mine, and my wife’s. No dependents equal independence. I should be thankful that I don’t have to sacrifice 20 to 30 years of my life to the gamble that is raising offspring.

Yet.

People don’t comment on this blog, either due to the fact that I don’t know that many people online, or because I don’t mention anything postworthy. Probably both. Anyway, the fact is that I have access to blog, and that being able to express these thoughts across the globe is a luxury that a fair whack of the world couldn’t partake in.

It seems to be norm that people always want more, no matter how much they have. I admit to being guilty of subscribing to this philosophy. I am not sure where I go from here, as I cannot easily break out of this method of thinking. It is ingrained in my mind that life is a race in where the winner is not the person who crosses the finish line first, but the participant who runs a better race, finishes with the most things, most friends and most respect.

How do I untrain this mind? Surely preaching on the internet isn’t a good way to start.

Maybe a coffee is a good idea – If all else fails, rely on your vices.

0 files below

Post a Comment

<< Home