Now contains nuts.

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Beginning with one step

As with any journey, it all begins with a single step. After that it is a case of subsequent single steps until the brain decides that it can't take any more steps, and forces the body to stop at the nearest cafe for a latte and a sit-down.

And torturing metaphors in this manner will probably be a running theme for this particular blog.

In short, I'll initially be using this thing to define what exactly has piqued my curiosity recently, and will probably slowly descend into a tirade of soapbox standing, what-is-wrong-with-everyone-but-me cynicism after about ten entries. Eventually, it may die off... but at least I've had a vent in the meantime, which I am sure is quite healthy, psychologically.

But first, lets explain some things. My username, Aphertiser. Well, the username "Aph" was already being used by another blogger. The letters APH are, incidentally, my initials. The "ertiser" was ripped from the name of the local news rag, and seemed to flow well on then end of my initials. Locals will know the paper I'm referring to.

As for the title of "Celebrating mediocrity", well again I will refer to the local newspaper. I guess it really does sum up my opinion of said publication quite well. As the only newspaper in this city, it enjoys a monopoly over public opinion, which probably wouldn't be so bad if it did not employ fundamental, right-wing, talentless, single-minded, single-sided, sensationalist journos.

Sadly, it does.

Having said that, there are SOME members of the editorial staff that can write the occasional interesting article, but sadly they seem to be the minority.

The rest of the time, the people of this town are fed minute doses of facts, blended with conjecture that would make a tabloid appear ethically apt, and iced with interviews of selfish, ill-informed members of the public.

So, it is my opinion that this rag - and I guess the local media in general - are a celebration of mediocrity, which is impeding the flow of accurate, unbiased information onto its audience.

Oh... and I also think that this blog's mere existance could be classed as a celebration of mediocrity, considering this author's unproven ability. So whilst it may be hypocritical of me to denounce one medium's quality when yours truly cannot hold anyone's interest for more than five minutes (and I applaud the reader who has gotten this far), but note that I never claimed to assuming some form of professional high-ground.

I am only a young, twenty-something male, and I have an opinion. That's all.

I will end this entry here, I think. I don't wish to exhaust most of my material in the space of one entry. Besides, the horse I rode in on is hungry, and must be fed.

1 files below

Blogger Andy said...

Cheers for posting (rather than sending an email, like I do)!

Actually... celebrating mediocrity could be some form of commentary on my life, come to think of it. But thats probably something for another entry...

Probably when I'm running low of coffee in my caffeine system. :)

2:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home