Now contains nuts.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Validation

It’s better to have competed and lost than to have not competed at all.

Yes, back in June/July I wrote a short story in an effort to put my money where my mouth is, and show that I could actually string a thousand words together in an order that constituted a coherent “story”

Thinking I’d done an orright job of it, I entered it into the National Short Story Telling Competition, held by the Uni of Canberra.

Needless to say, I didn’t win. But, considering the millions thousands hundreds, tens of people who probably entered, the odds were against me from the start.

But, you know, you gotta give these things a crack. I mean, without validation from anonymous faces on the other side the continent, how else will you know if you’re any good?

Friends? Pshaw… dirty sycophants… every one of ‘em.

However, thanks go out to:

Paul of Real Life – good mate who proofread, edited, insulted and basically was honest with the story.

Jen of Livien - who brought the competition to my attention. She also gave the story a once-over with her eye for style. Keep going with your own novel, Jen.

CB of Chicken or the Egg – whose writing I admire and who generously took the time to give me some feedback.

I won’t be throwing the story up on here, even though it is a mere thousand words. If anyone is curious, I can forward you a copy. My email is in my profile.

5 files below

Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Andy, you know you’re very talented. Validation from nameless faces takes time to come. And it will happen for you, so you have to keep trying.

As a long time admirer of your writing talents, it was a privilege to be involved in the feedback. Thank you for the kind word; you’re an inspiration :).

10:15 PM

 
Blogger Steph said...

AT least you had a go. Hundreds of excellent writers get turned away every year.
You're in good company.

11:31 AM

 
Blogger cadiz12 said...

yeah, don't give up. the winner probably slept with a judge anyway.

just kidding. but really, keep at it.

4:39 PM

 
Blogger Ms Smack said...

Hey Andy. Sorry I didnt get a chance to read it. I'm sure however that CB's feedback was valuable enough.

x

8:39 PM

 
Blogger jennifersando said...

Thanks for the mention. :) I'm glad your submission kept mine company during the judges' decision process. I'll bet it wasn't shitting itself as much. :)

4:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home